C/NC

Crap
Total votes: 6 (22%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 21 (78%)
Total votes: 27

Re: Band: Black Midi

I learned about them here years ago, and thought they had something pretty cool as a three-piece. I just watched a recent YouTube 'in the basement' set from them with more musicians involved, and dug it, too. Not crap.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

I was initially dismissive like many were in the last thread, but I grew to appreciate and enjoy them. The first album is great, and the live album that came out on bandcamp is even better.

I can't help but think that the more hostile reactions (including my own) were flavored with... a bit of subconscious jealousy? Chances are high that the majority of us on the PRF either had or tried to form a noise rock band at some point to little or no success. Then seemingly out of nowhere comes along a young group that is clearly informed by all the same post-punk/noise rock shit we all love here that were enjoying a very unusual amount of visibility and hype...

chexmixbreath wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 pm

I can't help but think that the more hostile reactions (including my own) were flavored with... a bit of subconscious jealousy?
Meaning no offense but this "jealousy" argument which comes up EVERY time anyone criticizes something/someone popular, is the dumbest argument ever.
That presumption that one CANNOT genuinely dislike something acclaimed by the most, and there's for sure some jealousy/frustration/malignant feeling behind that.
Most used argument to defend the most conformist crap, usually.

A friend of mine messaged me this week asking 'you wanna go to Minneapolis in October to see black midi?' And I was like, "Ok, sure." So that's happening (hooray for the return of live shows!). That same friend of mine is reviewing the new album for a site he writes for, and says it is "a stunner."

I find myself occasionally saying "she walks with a purpose" in a funny voice.

Not crap.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

oZZma wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:57 pm
chexmixbreath wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 pm

I can't help but think that the more hostile reactions (including my own) were flavored with... a bit of subconscious jealousy?
Meaning no offense but this "jealousy" argument which comes up EVERY time anyone criticizes something/someone popular, is the dumbest argument ever.
That presumption that one CANNOT genuinely dislike something acclaimed by the most, and there's for sure some jealousy/frustration/malignant feeling behind that.
Most used argument to defend the most conformist crap, usually.
While I'd agree 100% with your point for most cases, I do think in this case it was an insightful and honest opinion.
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on