Band Saccharine Trust

Not crap
Total votes: 15 (94%)
Crap
Total votes: 1 (6%)
Total votes: 16

Re: Band Saccharine Trust

Great band, extraordinary range and vocabulary (musically and lyrically) that create a potent, atmospheric sound. Even when the music gets a little more polished, there's an old-school religion / preacher energy that's totally compelling and unsettling: a great example of a vocalist contributing to a band w/out being a conventional singer.

Would struggle to choose between Surviving You, Always (more manic, skronky and convulsive - wide eyes and bad vibes) and We Became Snakes (transcendental, cooler fusion grooves, sans cheese).

Also, their snake nailed to a cross logo is one of my favourite Pettibon pieces.

N.C

Of that “classic” core of SST bands (BF, Minutemen, Huskers, MP, etc) probably the greatest, if not the most foundational (three way tie, natch: Minutemen/Huskers/Flag), in my personal canon. All of the albums are singular and inspired and crucial in different ways. Worldbroken is such an incredible feat, improv-ing both the vocals & music live (bass player chickened out a week before & Watt subbed) within a rock band format is rarely attempted and Brewer/Baiza swing it with aplomb (possibly cuz they didn’t realize they were doing something so hard). Speaking of which an incredible pairing of visionary front-man with visionary guitar player. Baiza is hot-shit, like Quine or something. And Brewer, I could talk a long time about his words & his delivery, both hugely inspirational. “Jim & Jimi in the same band”-R. Meltzer. They don’t fit snugly with their contemporaries and probably would have made more sense 10-15 yrs later if they were from Chicago (cf. Jack Brewer and Kava), but thems the breaks. They reunited way too early (no one cared abt punk-era reforms yet in ‘97) and turned in another classic in 2001 that was extremely hard to come by until 2017. Much to my eternal regret I’ve never seen them, though youtube clips of Brewer rolling on the floor before 20 people in some South Bay bar leads me to believe they would be awesome. Late era bass player Chris Stein passed away in 2018. Not crap.

The Classical wrote:(cf. Jack Brewer and Kava)
That one single they released is excellent. I wish there was more of it. I'm surprised and pleased that anyone remembers this in 2021.

Paganicons rules. Great hardcore that's completely excellent b/c it is, in fact, not really hardcore. Jack Brewer is also one of the few spoken-word type, poetry-influenced vocalists that makes it work. Not crap.