Steely Dan

Crap
Total votes: 27 (44%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 35 (56%)
Total votes: 62

Re: Band: Steely Dan

Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:28 pm
octoberallover wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:21 pm I am so, so sorry.
You’d better be.
Crap.
lol!

Few things online irritate me more rn than the pleasure some Dan fans take in themselves for “getting it.” Probably because I wish I did too. Smooth jazz + singing about problems only the enormously selfish and callous create for themselves?? Don’t like it. Seems like music that starts to appeal after you’ve grown comfortable with defeat.

In fairness, I do admire how dedicated they were to their own, idiosyncratic sound. If they’d never struck it big, they’d have been making the same music, albeit on a much smaller budget. In their own peculiar way, I suppose they were visionaries. It’s just emphatically not for me.

octoberallover wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:31 pm
Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:28 pm
octoberallover wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:21 pm I am so, so sorry.
You’d better be.
Crap.
lol!

Few things online irritate me more rn than the pleasure some Dan fans take in themselves for “getting it.” Probably because I wish I did too. Smooth jazz + singing about problems only the enormously selfish and callous create for themselves?? Don’t like it. Seems like music that starts to appeal after you’ve grown comfortable with defeat.
In the old thread about the Dan, several people argued about what the lyrics meant in “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number.” Nobody could agree on anything except that the subject (whatever it was) was secretly dirty and depraved.

I really like "Can't buy a thrill", the only one I have from them.

I recently discovered they have a song bout the Caves of Altamira, I was born in that village. The village also holds a Medieval Torture museum where you can find the original grotesque contraption on the cover of Helmet's "Born annoying".

Super not crap for the Dan and Santillana del Mar.

The Dan seems to bring out extreme reactions in people, but I like songs from the first 3-4 albums and less from later ones when it seemed like they were making music to audition stereos on. The making of Aja documentary is funny for the ridiculous lengths they went to on that album, and occasionally those 2 guys can be quite funny.

NC I guess?
Music