Phil Collins

Crap
Total votes: 12 (40%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 18 (60%)
Total votes: 30

Phil Collins

Not a fan of his solo work (In The Air Tonight notwithstanding), but he gave some good vocal performances in Genesis, and you can't knock his drumming on much.

I never understood all the hate he used to get - he seems like a nice guy. Granted, at one point in the 80's, between Genesis, his solo work and his acting, it seemed like you couldn't get away from him. Maybe that was what gave rise to the ire.

He's not very well now, but is heading out on a last Genesis tour apparently, to sing from a chair while his son covers the drumming.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

Re: Phil Collins

He was a pretty rabid Tory in the era of Thatcher and beyond which I think is partially responsible for his standing. Think he 'threatened' to leave the UK if Labour ever won an election then didn't follow through.

Friend just saw him play last week and said his voice is pretty much fucked.

Steely Dan fuckin' rules.

Phil Collins is mostly crap, with waffles for the following story: my dad is a hardcore Texas fan. Loves the entire state. Completely and utterly obsessed with Texas culture. The kind you learn in Texas history class.

He found out that Phil had a sizeable amount of Alamo relics somewhere out in Werthamshite or whatever his castle is named.

My dad hates Phil for what he has done to the legacy of the Alamo, collecting the relics of our ancestors and loaning them back to where they belong. For whatever reason, it's a matter of Texas pride that they be handed back proper. I am afraid that my father will never forgive Phil.

This is the second funniest thing my father ever did, being angry at Phil Collins for buying a bunch of knick knacks after the guy watched "Davey Crockett" in the '50s. Thank you Phil Collins for pissing my sweet dad off, it is so funny.
New metal outfit

https://laddermatchco.bandcamp.com/album/3-count-demo

How did 'In the Air Tonight' become his most popular song? Was it after Eminem mentioned it in 'Stan'? I mean, the song is OK, and the boom-boom boom-boom drum fill is cool, but it just strikes me as odd how it's become so popular again.

Invisible Touch was one the first cassette tapes I ever owned - side one was all top 10 hits!

I used to hear 'We Said Hello, Goodbye' on the radio as a pre-teen and was like, 'what is this from'? It was Phil Collins, but I had no idea it was a hidden bonus track on No Jacket Required until years later.

Even though I've written off a lot of his solo stuff, I still dig 'Easy Lover', 'Against All Odds', 'I Wish It Would Rain Down', and some of the Genesis stuff, so I have to give Mr. Collins a NOT CRAP.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale