Film: Dune (2021)

Spicy
Total votes: 12 (67%)
Bland
Total votes: 6 (33%)
Total votes: 18

Re: Film: Dune (2021)

I don't know how to judge Dune movies because I love the David Lynch one that everyone hates. I also love the first 3 books and think the 4th and 5th are pretty good too. I don't dig into the expanded universe of... anything. I don't even listen to Wings. As long as it is weird sci fi with drug worms that is hard to follow and they don't try to explain it to noobs with a bunch of silly jokes and shit, it will be fine.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

enframed wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:27 pm Trailer looks terrible and I have enjoyed other Villenueue films. I'll watch it on HBO and the theatre, prob.

From the trailer, looks like a Peter Jackson film.
I would say it looks like a Marvel film, which means it’ll be like absolute sewage to me. “LeT’s FiGhT LiKe DeMoNs” gtfoh. I do love Dune though so I’ll probably watch it.

Kniferide wrote: I don't know how to judge Dune movies because I love the David Lynch one that everyone hates.
This. Huge fan of the first two books when I was a kid, and I loved the Lynch Dune film, whether David Lynch or anyone else did at all.
Kniferide wrote: As long as it is weird sci fi with drug worms that is hard to follow and they don't try to explain it to noobs with a bunch of silly jokes and shit, it will be fine.
Nothing bad to say about Denis Villeneuve.
His Blade Runner installation was harder to stay awake during than the original(big fan of the original), and this gives me some hope that he won't squander the opportunity that is Dune pandering to the Marvel crowd.

I suppose I shall find out some time this week.
DIY and die anyway.

Have never read any of the books, but I've greatly enjoyed DV's last three films (SICARIO, ARRIVAL, BR 2049), so I'm pretty hyped for DUNE based on the trailer. Will likely be my first trip to a movie theater since March 2020.

The Lynch version is great as long as the sound is off and you're just watching the great visuals. I remember watching it in high school and thinking it was kinda stupid when I actually heard everyone talk, but have to come to enjoy it from a purely visual perspective. And if Lynch hadn't done DUNE, he wouldn't have been given free reign for BLUE VELVET.

A friend and I were trying to think of all the notable bands with DUNE related names but could only thing of two:

Harkonen
Sandrider
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Found Dune bang average tbh. Some bits of it had me almost annoyed at their lack of imagination, and all of Villeneuve's worst traits are out in force.

I do feel though, that a second part could be notably better, with the hamfistedness of all his exposition largely dealt with by the first part.
at war with bellends