Who has fallen lower?

Jane's Addiction
Total votes: 7 (33%)
Ministry
Total votes: 14 (67%)
Total votes: 21

Reputation-ruiner-dome: Jane’s Addiction vs Ministry

2 of my favourite bands who have done a remarkably good job of running their reputation into the ground, Motley Crue style, during this millennium.

For the record – Eric Avery era Jane’s and Paul Barker era Ministry (plus Twitch, but that speaks more to my Sherwood fetish – but I digress…) are in regular rotation. I maybe like all this stuff MORE than I did in my teens / twenties, esp Ritual and the live Ministry records.

But I’d be embarrassed to publicly proclaim my love (or attend a live show or even wear a band T-shirt) for either of these cavalcade of parody whores. I know it’s a dirty business and keeping on that greasy pole must be increasingly difficult – but yeesh…

So the question: which band, in your opinion, has sunk lowest?

Re: Reputation-ruiner-dome: Jane’s Addiction vs Ministry

These were two of my favorite bands in junior high. I'm going to say Ministry on the strength of "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up" and "Filth Pig". "Twitch" is a cool dark wave record, but it's not really the same band IMO. Both bands are execrable at this point.

Al looks like Dave Navarro's Garbage Pail Kid.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

I would say Al would potentially give Navarro a fun for his money if he was ever to be part of a reality show. But then, I'd figure Farrell would go even further.
joelb wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:35 am See, I thought you were talking about which band would ruin MY reputation faster if I cop to ever having enjoyed them.
This being the PRF I expected that the thread would be based on this take.

Was a fan of both when I was a teenager. I still go back to Ministry up to Filth Pig (which is a big favourite) eventually, but never feel like taking the JA records off the shelf. So Ministry it is. They were on a roll for a while, some of the side projects included.
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on

I feel like Jane's Addition was always kind of media whore wannabes. Manufactured LA scene band. Did I like it once? Sure. Do I think they are all, and always were, douchebags? Yes! So I don't really think they sunk. I heard them so much in college I kinda cannot bear to hear them ever again. But I'll put on the Land of Rape and Honey always. TMIATTTT as well.

Ministry? Al was also always an image whore. Have you seen any of the early Ministry stuff? Faygo commercial? That live in Boston Work for Love? I will say their music has gotten the worst, unless you count Dave Navarro solo material. that's maybe the worst music ever created.

Neither of these acts really had a reputation to "ruin" if you really look at their history. Can't vote.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Bernardo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:44 am I would say Al would potentially give Navarro a fun for his money if he was ever to be part of a reality show. But then, I'd figure Farrell would go even further.
Al is like Bobby Liebling, the compulsive liar type of old junkie. Tales of small-plane smuggling runs and million dollar deals. I guarantee you their day to day is and always has been based around consuming either junk or junk food, with absolutely nothing of interest unless you count those times when they behave abusively toward someone who tends to forgive them.

I don't know what to make of Perry Farrell. I've always dismissed him as a Rollins sort of artist, the weak link in everything he's been part of. Doing some reading now, and apparently he threatened to break the band up during the recording of Nothing's Shocking unless he got 5/8 of the royalties, so I'd say he's potentially even more embarrassing than Navarro, and going back farther.

As for this poll, I definitely spin Twitch through Psalm 69 every now and then. I never listen to Jane's Addiction.

Even though (a) the lyrics are a bunch of pretentious “threesome something something Jesus” hogwash, and (b) the instrumental parts sound like Ratt + a drum circle, I still like “Three Days.” But that’s the only JA song I have time for.

But I have no time at all for anything by Ministry. Just not my cup of tea.

As for which band has done more to ruin its reputation, I agree that neither had a reputation to be ruined in the first place. For both, there was a period when many of us were simply ignorant of who they really were, which turned out to be “narcissists who like drugs.”

EDITED TO ADD: I just remembered that awful Chicago Blackhawks song that Al did. JA, to my knowledge, hadn’t done anything as terrible or calculated as that.