El Topo

A Bloody Mess
Total votes: 2 (22%)
Bloody Brilliant
Total votes: 7 (78%)
Total votes: 9

Re: Film: El Topo

biscuitdough wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 pm
brephophagist wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 pm NC. I like the pairing of archetypal characters with clearly letting LSD take the wheel.

Highest possible waffles for torturing horses and rabbits. Shit was not necessary.
Well, that changes my vote and calls Holy Mountain into question. Goddamn it.
Before I opened this thread, I bet myself that this would come up a few posts in. What measure of quality is this? Can you imagine how many critters they blew up as collateral damage during Apocalypse now? Can you guess how many cows Orson Welles ate to get as fat as he was? It's fine to footnote it, if you can't stomach the visuals here, I totally get it, but I'm not going to stop watching certain movies just because I know Harvey Weinstein got rich making them, or because Molly Ringwald had a feminist awakening. Either the thing works, or it doesn't. El Topo and in particular Holy Mountain are two of a kind experiences, so take it or leave it, there is no clean version.

zorg wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:43 am
biscuitdough wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 pm
brephophagist wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 pm NC. I like the pairing of archetypal characters with clearly letting LSD take the wheel.

Highest possible waffles for torturing horses and rabbits. Shit was not necessary.
Well, that changes my vote and calls Holy Mountain into question. Goddamn it.
Before I opened this thread, I bet myself that this would come up a few posts in. What measure of quality is this? Can you imagine how many critters they blew up as collateral damage during Apocalypse now? Can you guess how many cows Orson Welles ate to get as fat as he was? It's fine to footnote it, if you can't stomach the visuals here, I totally get it, but I'm not going to stop watching certain movies just because I know Harvey Weinstein got rich making them, or because Molly Ringwald had a feminist awakening. Either the thing works, or it doesn't. El Topo and in particular Holy Mountain are two of a kind experiences, so take it or leave it, there is no clean version.
What the fuck?

I like El Topo and Holy Mountain from a visual standpoint, but I think they're a bit overrated. Jodorowski has always struck me as a charlatan. However, Santa Sangre is a great film.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Vibracobra wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:29 pm Jodorowsky always seemed a trickster to me. His art, his interviews...
Yeah, in some of the reading I did around this he apparently was asked in interview at the time of release about the rape scene, and his response was that it was an actual rape that was filmed. Years (decades?) later he says that was just to be shocking so he would be talked about and the film would get some recognition.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.