Total votes: 21

Re: Band: Propagandhi

akosinski wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:17 am
Andrew wrote: Propagandhi

Original poll has 22 crap votes!
viewtopic.php?p=51601#p51601
22 crap votes for shitty mall punk?

shocking.
Most people's dislike of this band is rooted in their first two pop-punk albums in the 90s. And I see the trend continues of people who haven't checked in on the band in literally 25 years. You are a quarter century behind the times on this band, fools.

You can get a sense of their musical trajectory in 5 minutes here:

They got more metal/thrash with Empires (2001) (but with some weak pop-punk production) and fully came into their sound with Potemkin (2005). Everything since has been great. Second guitarist joined before Supporting Caste (2009), which might rank as their best album. The last album Victory Lap (2017) finally hit with me after hearing the songs live for the first time on the weekend.

A couple nerds in the States started a pandemic Propagandhi podcast that I recently found. It's really well done, featuring long interviews with band members, album producers, musicians from other bands, etc.
FM Steve V is a guest on one.

And for any heads, Chris Hannah has a patreon where he releases podcast episodes and does guitar walk-throughs and other things.
https://www.patreon.com/jesushchris

penningtron wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:25 am So they got more palm mute-y over time, it's not exactly a Fugazi-like evolution. They don't do the silly songs anymore at least.

C
You can lead a horse to water... If you want to evaluate a band that's been around for 30 years based on their first 2 albums out of 7, that's cool, but you are talking out of your ass based on opinions formed in the 90s.

if you don't like this, that's fine, whatever, but it ain't mall punk w more palm muting.

Chris's songs are poppier and more melodic than Todd's but they are also packed with great riffs and parts.

Andrew wrote: if you don't like this, that's fine, whatever, but it ain't mall punk w more palm muting.

..is this a slapstick routine? Cuz other than an intro that's vaguely like Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss that's pretty much what it sounds like to me. And yes I've been exposed to all of their albums up to maybe the most recent one.
Music

Not great. I don't care about the good-guy politics at all so they've always sounded like Lagwagon / Pennywise etc... and while I can tolerate a catchy single from the Fat Wreck / Epitaph bands as I love the OG So-Cal hardcore sound, but the basic formula for these guys (pop-punk minus the fun / irreverence) seems kinda flawed...

Also echo the thought that their "evolution" over their career is limited at best.

C.