Who wielded the Hammer of the Gods better?

Soundgarden
Total votes: 34 (89%)
Tool
Total votes: 4 (11%)
Total votes: 38

90’s-Heir-to-the-Zep-Throne-Dome: Soundgarden v.s Tool

Been on a mild SG binge recently and was kinda struck that these 2 bands came the closest to the grandiose and / or mystical vibe of prime Zep in that 90s post-punk / alt rock era, esp via their singers.

Tough call for me as Soundgarden are a more sporadic group, quality-wise, but they covered more ground as a result. Tool are somewhat more monochromatic on each album. Def both bands with flaws that stop me from being a committed fan, but they both reach the peak often enough.

Before the cynics kick in: evidence of both bands summoning the divine can be directly experienced on the Louder Than Live record and the 1998, taken from the soundboard bootleg in Kalamazoo, MI – both top drawer examples of universe curdling raw power.

Re: 90’s-Heir-to-the-Zep-Throne-Dome: Soundgarden v.s Tool

Without a doubt Soundgarden. Maybe I'm indicting myself on the charges of having pedestrian tastes, but Tool strikes me as too self-indulgent and overwrought to endure listening to more than 3 or 4 songs at best. I know we're making a Zep comparison, so being self-indulgent and overwrought ought to put a +2 in their column, but I just can't do it. I got turned onto Soundgarden when Louder Than Love came out, and since they were the opening act for Voivod for their Nothingface tour, I took that slot to be a sign that they were cool. I'll admit that it took some time to get my young ears around their vibe, but I eventually got on the snake. I remained an active listener til almost the end.

Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger are all timers for me. I also like Ultramega OK and Superunknown both okay. Tool has one record and one ep I can put on every couple of years. So it's not even remotely a close call for me.

Also. It took Soundgarden for me to come around to Led Zeppelin. I hated. HATED Robert Plant's voice for a long, long time.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Soundgarden vibes more on Black Sabbath. Tool is the equivalent of Rush. Neither of them did the Led Zeppelin signature, horrid mix of Tolkien and the goofy innuendo novelty song subgenre of the blues, lyrically. Neither of them mixed careful composition with acid rock abandon, instrumentally. Neither of them has a horrible caricature creature singing - you want Patton-era Faith No More for that.