John Carpenter vs Coil

John Carpenter
Total votes: 3 (21%)
Coil
Total votes: 11 (79%)
Total votes: 14

Re: Spooky-Dome: Coil vs John Carpenter

Coil were so spooky that they had varieties of spookiness across their career; the singing-at-the-edge-of-the-void era (on Ape of Naples and ... The Ambulance Died In His Arms) might be my fav, though 'Anal Staircase' still works for sheer shock and awe...

Carpenter's stuff is good but rarely great, IMO. 'Nasa-Arab' sorta out-Carpenters good old J.C. Even Morricone managed to usurp him in the eeriness stakes on The Thing soundtrack.

Coil.

zircona1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 am What's a good Coil album for a beginner? I don't know any of their music.
Good question. They went through different phases so I'd recommend not being discouraged if you listen to something and it doesn't impress you. You may find something from a different era that you dig.

My entry point was Love's Secret Domain. Kinda like industrial/goth on ecstasy?

Nowadays "Musick to Play in the Dark" Vol 1+2 get a lot of rotation. Also the Black Light District, and Ape of Naples, and the earlier ""industrial" Horse Rotorvator. And then the drone of Time Machines.....

Ugh, probably not helping. Sorry. Good luck!
https://genaumke.bandcamp.com/

enframed wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 am Time Machines is spookier than anything Carpenter ever did. That's not a knock on Carpenter, either.
damn I need that "Time Machines" thing. Had no idea.

I would say "Gold Is The New Metal" is some fine entry-level Coil. Accessible, not too creepy. From there, Scatology, Horse Rotorvator and Ape of Naples. That's all I've got. Actually, looking at those 4 LP's, the band have never done me wrong...... dont tell me I need all of it.