Liars

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 7 (100%)
Total votes: 7

Band: Liars

They've kind of turned into The Fall in some ways: if it's Angus Andrew and your granny on bongos..

Pretty easy Not Crap vote from me, though I mostly only go back to WIXIW and Drum's Not Dead. But I appreciate that you never know what you're gonna get with their records. I just learned that one came out in August and I shall go listen..
Music

Re: Band: Liars

penningtron wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:04 pm They've kind of turned into The Fall in some ways: if it's Angus Andrew and your granny on bongos..

Pretty easy Not Crap vote from me, though I mostly only go back to WIXIW and Drum's Not Dead. But I appreciate that you never know what you're gonna get with their records. I just learned that one came out in August and I shall go listen..
I'm not a fan of Liars since Aaron Hemphill left. Angus apparently needs a foil, IMHO.

That said, love everything they've done up through Hemphill's departure. Saw them put on a great show at Great American Music Hall in SF for the Sister World or maybe WIXIW tour. Can't remember which album.
Adam_I_III wrote:Please recomend an album to delve into?
I really love "They Were Wrong so We Drowned." Every album is a bit different, and they become more electronic and less experimental on WIXIW. So I guess I'd recommend those two.

"We No Longer Knew Who We Were" EP is fucking great. Grab it if you can find it.

And of course this artwork rules:
Good rip off of ESG on that first album, too.

Oh yeah, Hemphill records solo under the Nonpareils moniker. It's pretty good too.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:45 pm
penningtron wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:04 pm They've kind of turned into The Fall in some ways: if it's Angus Andrew and your granny on bongos..

I'm not a fan of Liars since Aaron Hemphill left. Angus apparently needs a foil, IMHO.
Check out the newest one, it's the most 'band-like' sounding one in years. I agree he kinda lost me a bit with the solo, EDM-leaning albums.
Music

I have a deep deep love for They Were Wrong, So We Drowned and Drum's Not Dead, but I think the best song they've done was that gorgeous single with the gnarly video off WIXIW, "Number One Against the Rush".

Really great when I saw them live, and while I don't get into a lot of their musical rabbit chases, easy not crap for me.

kerble wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:18 pm but I think the best song they've done was that gorgeous single with the gnarly video off WIXIW, "Number One Against the Rush".
That's very high up, if not #1 for me too! Now that you know Wire a little better :) I can say that it reminds me of some of Colin Newman's solo work.

I love how They Were Wrong.. pretty much killed their Brooklyn "It Band" status. They gave zero fucks, then moved to Berlin anyway. I wish more bands were like that.
Music