Les Paul Guitars?

Slash
Total votes: 5 (21%)
Swami
Total votes: 19 (79%)
Total votes: 24

Les Paul (the guitar)

Double-cut, single cut, Studio, Standard, Custom, Sunburst, Juniors, Gold Top, TV Yellow...ok, this has been visited before on the old forum, so here we go again. Has your opinion softened/hardened since then? What say you? Crap or not crap?

Personally, I have two LP Studios that I love, especially the one w/ P90s, but I understand there's some yucky associations w/ these guitars because of some famous players (and maybe worse: the people inspired by those people)...but like the Strat, there's also plenty of great players who rep em so...LETS GOOOOOOO

Re: Les Paul (the guitar)

Love a good Les Paul, but it helps I guess that my favorite guitarists include Neil Young, Andy Cohen, and John Reis, who all made great music and played rad stuff on 'em.

I've got a mid-90s LP Studio Gem with P90s that's my favorite guitar I've owned. Sounds and feels great.

Have also owned a late-80s LP Studio that was fantastic, and really I should have held onto it. Also a late 80s LP Standard that Hastie gave me that had had several headstock breaks; finally got Jury to work on it and it's held up well, and I Reis-ified it with a bridge P90 and neck lipstick. Heavier than the LP Gem, and slightly thinner neck, but also a great guitar.

I find them to be the most comfortable guitar for me, even the heavy 70s Norlin-era ones.

I know there are lots of dogshit ones around, and lots of dogshit people have played them, but I've never really run into those and been happy with the ones I've played and owned.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Will stick with the ubiquitous double humbucker, tune-o-matic model.

Goofy angles like it thinks it's a cello or some shit, weighs a gillion pounds for no good reason, pickups are too mid-centric, terrible pickup selector position, even mediocre models are too expensive. Why do PRS's get dunked on for having goofy flame jobs but it's ok for a LP..

Not Crap in the sense that, like pizza, even a dumb electric guitar is still pretty cool, but Crap considering it's towering reputation.
Music

For some reason I bust myself in the eyebrow every time I lift off the guitar while wearing a strap. I don't like the switch position. Heavy. Sharp corners. They sound great but don't work for me. Not a fan of the shorter Gibson scale either, I have long arms and it feels tiny.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Never been a big Les Paul fan (the guitar not the dude), and Gibson are a flaming pile of a company.
Maybe I haven't had the right opportunity to bond with a really nice one?
Whether you like them or not, in my mind, absolutely nothing makes them worth their price tag.

Major waffles for my 72 Les Paul Recording, and for TV Yellow Double Cuts with P90's.

Which is the Crap vote; Slash or Swami?
DIY and die anyway.

I saw Hum play at The Fireside in 97 and immediately after went to Chicago Music Exchange (when it was that little closet on Clark St) and bought a black Les Paul Studio with chrome hardware for $500. Loved that guitar. I was in a hardcore band at the time and at a show someone in the crowd somehow knocked the headstock back into my face snapping the headstock off. I needed a replacement pretty quick and sold the broken guitar for $480 on ebay (go figure) and replaced it with a Bean so I would never have to deal with a broken headstock again.

I had an 80s Custom in my house for about a year that I held for a family member. I like how it felt, but it was kind of dead sounding for some reason. Stayed in its case most of the time. Looked great though. I played Steve from Torche's Black Custom and it felt and sounded incredible.

No denying they are cool guitars.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

penningtron wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm Why do PRS's get dunked on for having goofy flame jobs but it's ok for a LP..
I mean that's ONE thing PRS's get dunked on. For me it's the pointy headstock & the high-pedestal they get put on by guitar players that I actively dislike.

But like many guitars, a Les Paul comes in many different colors and varieties. I think Silverburst is my personal favorite and then all black (maybe with binding) would be my 2nd favorite.

I've also seen them in pastel "fendery" colors and think they look pretty sharp.