Band: Rival Sons

Greta Van Fart (Crap)
Total votes: 6 (86%)
Retread Zeppelin (Not Crap)
Total votes: 1 (14%)
Total votes: 7

Band: Rival Sons

The more obvious heir to the Led Zeppelin "howling androgyne with bloated rhythm section" crown than either of those other two loser bands.

I am not asking if they are good. I know they are not good.

But do you LIKE them?

I may just be in love with the drum sound, but I can't stop listening to them.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

Re: Band: Rival Sons

dontfeartheringo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:24 am The more obvious heir to the Led Zeppelin "howling androgyne with bloated rhythm section" crown than either of those other two loser bands.
No way - heir to the Black Crowes, maybe...

Main problem w/ these kinds of bands is that they get lost in the process (in this case amplified blues riffs + pounding drumming + wailing) and have no vision (other than regurgitating influences that an audience base deems "tasteful" and "authentic") to get them to a destination of their own.

W/ killer bands like Zep, Sabbath etc, the process is fascinating enough (hence so many rip-off bands), but it's where the innovators went w/ the music that made them really great - so in Zep's case, grandeur, mysticism, sleaze, a sneering kinda aggression, a wide-eyed love of RnR... The Sabbath playbook seems to allow more freedom of expression, but Zep were so accomplished that ultimately you're gonna lose if you play by their rules. That was true way back in 1988 w/ bands like Kingdom Come (the first and the worst of the Zep clone bands) and is no less true today.

So w/ those "loser bands" the Zep influence is in the choice of destination - they at least had the imagination to develop their own process (how successfully they managed this is up for debate, of course).

Hobby / reenactment bands like this should stick to covers - that's as much as they're contributing.

The singer sure can sing loudly though.

Crap crap crap

Re: Band: Rival Sons

My initial euphoria about cool drum and bass sounds cooled in a record 9 days.

A lot of sort of... not great songs.

I wish more bands had these kinds of sounds but weren't so high on their own gas.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.