Subculture: rockabilly

Crap
Total votes: 20 (77%)
Not crap
Total votes: 6 (23%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Punk-adjacent subculture: rockabilly

Musically, I like some rockabilly, even some of the retro stuff, but have never gone on a deep dive. A lot of it is kinda soundalike.

Aesthetically, though, as long as it stays on the good side of the GF Line,* I’ll cop to being a fan. Pompadours, Betty Page dos, polka-dot dresses, etc. It’s just appealing to me and always has been, even if I’d never dress that way myself.
BeyondThePale wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:01 am No on flame embroidered Gretschs
*Guy Fieri Line. This is on the wrong side of it.

Perfectly enjoyable sonic aesthetic. Questionable subculture.

In Denver in the 90's there was a blossoming of this stuff. Part of it seems cool enough: vintage cars/bikes, Outsiders style hair/clothes on the dudes, vintage print dresses and hair done up with a flower on the ladies. I knew some nice greaser folks and the cafes and bars they haunted.

But there was another side. Iron cross tattoos and some flirtation with third Reich symbolism. Some obnoxious puffed-up chest, brawling culture. Some misogynistic stuff as well.

Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:28 am
Aesthetically, though, as long as it stays on the good side of the GF Line,* I’ll cop to being a fan. Pompadours, Betty Page dos, polka-dot dresses, etc. It’s just appealing to me and always has been, even if I’d never dress that way myself.
That’s funny. The Betty page look is attractive - though it does raise an interesting question to me, regarding sub-cultures that have costumed, sort of ‘high performance’ affectations.

Does one dress up just for cultural events, or do they live this way 24-7? It’s hard to imagine doing routine, tedious adult things like buying tooth paste at rite aid with the whole greased pompadour in full effect.

Crap. I hate seeing bands whose boundaries are Brian Setzer on one side and the 90's swing craze on the other. It's as insufferable as 99% of pop punk. None of them even approach the actual craziness of the Cramps at all.

Their watering hole offshoots, the modern day tiki bar and speak easy, can be fun on occasion.

After an initial glance the Betty page look is boring on most. They bring no real sense of deviance or naughtiness to it like it was at first. Just dress up costumes.

biscuitdough wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:56 am Much of the music, especially the legit old stuff, is classic. The culture is a definite crap though. Compared to other cosplay cultures, I’d say it’s closer to Oi! than to oogles, since it has a definite historical frame of reference. It lacks the same violent tribalism, but it’s still silly. It’s also an extremely white phenomenon.
Agreed, especially about the whiteness. I think with the 50s nostalgia, it’s significant that that came about in the 70s, after America had gone not only through the turmoil of Vietnam, but also the Civil Rights Movement.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com