Japan

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 14 (100%)
Total votes: 14

Band: Japan

I assumed this band would suck for many years along the lines of Spandeau Ballet or something, but turns out they're closer to Roxy Music or Berlin trilogy Bowie, and with some excellent musicianship. David Sylvian's aesthetic could easily be off putting but he's shown over the decades to be fully committed to his thing, and has certainly aged better than Bryan Ferry. (referring to their solo career paths)

Waffle factors: icky factor of western white guys being a little too intrigued by Asian culture (Tin Drum), saxophone toeing the line between '70s glam and '80s camp, paving the way for Duran Duran, etc. The fretless bass is not a waffle, amazingly.

NC
Music

Re: Band: Japan

penningtron wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:12 am I assumed this band would suck for many years along the lines of Spandeau Ballet or something, but turns out they're closer to Roxy Music or Berlin trilogy Bowie, and with some excellent musicianship. David Sylvian's aesthetic could easily be off putting but he's shown over the decades to be fully committed to his thing, and has certainly aged better than Bryan Ferry. (referring to their solo career paths)

Waffle factors: icky factor of western white guys being a little too intrigued by Asian culture (Tin Drum), saxophone toeing the line between '70s glam and '80s camp, paving the way for Duran Duran, etc. The fretless bass is not a waffle, amazingly.

NC
Hadn't heard a note of this band til now. Sounds good (listening to Adolescent Sex) and I agree with your description. Singer sounds a little like the dude from the Saints IMO.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

I can't remember if it was Japan or Sylvian solo, but my ex went to see him at The Metro about thirtyish years ago, having driven down from Milwaukee, and about two songs in, Sylvian's voice gave out. He said into the mic, "I'm sorry, my voice is gone," and the band headed off. Someone in the crowd yelled, "Play instrumentals!" and he flipped the bird as he disappeared backstage.

But Japan, and Sylvian in general, are Not Crap. You could do worse than to put the Japan records on when you're learning bass.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

twelvepoint wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:49 pmI feel like Ultravox is another band that kinda started out with a guitar-forward post punk thing and moved toward synth-pop, but I don't know the catalog well enough to say for sure.
That's pretty much on the money w/ Ultravox - first 3 w/ John Foxx are kinda rough and spiky (he does this uber-frigid Ballard-future-nightmare pose very well), the next 2 w/ Mitch Ure are quite sophisticated and innovative, esp for the time, though a bit too in debt to Roxy, but still very strong. (Ultravox - N.C) The first 2 John Foxx records are also great.

Japan are very similar - odd, androgynous and erotically sexless post-glam vibe early on (early records are enjoyably skronky), but successfully transitioned into art-rock-proper on Quiet Life
and made 2 really forward thinking albums. I like it all, but I only love Tin Drum, they really knocked it out of the park on that one, killer grooves mixed w/ an unique atmosphere - 40 years in the future, our fragile English gentleman stands at the edge of a teeming Asian-ish metropolis, polishes his spectacles and wonders if he'll ever get laid again...

Too bad solo Sylvian is so pretentious that even I can't stand it. Ditto Rain Tree Crow or whatever.

Anyway - Japan: N.C