Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Palace

Yay
Total votes: 14 (82%)
Nay
Total votes: 3 (18%)
Total votes: 17

Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Palace

Bonny was playing last night at the Texas Theater, where Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. I really wanted to go, but I'd made plans after work that would last long enough that getting down to Oak Cliff would be a tight squeeze.

Doors were 7, Show was 8, so I assumed he'd be on around 9. I booked it down as soon as my appointment was done, and walked in at like 9:10, solo. My wife wanted to go, but it wasn't gonna work. He had just come on, and for whatever reason, the door person gave me a free ticket.

I sat on the end of the same row LHO was arrested and watched just an incredible performance - I don't really know how to describe it, he's just so present in his performance that it's mesmerizing. It was just him and a nylon 6 string, which is perfect for him as far as I'm concerned. He'd ramble occasionally during the course of a song about something that came to his mind, whether it was a story about learning pro tools or stopping off in Waco to see the Branch Davidian compound (which was supposed to be open, but was closed). Every bit of it was as genuine as you can possible imagine, and his voice is still as lovely as ever.

You should go if you can. He's fantastic, funny, haunting, beautiful.....brilliant performer.

Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Palace

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:00 pm
I saw him at the Old Quarter in Galveston and he came across kind of tough up that close. Like, his stage, his crowd, his show. That’s how you do it
I'll echo and agree with this - it's a good observation. He did an acapella version of a Sinead O'Connor song, and during the intro to the song he was kind of talking about how her death struck him, and that one of her records was meaningful to him at the time he was getting married, and someone in the crowd shouted something about how no one believed her, and how she was right all along and his response was basically, OK, well, what the fuck did you do about it? It was definitely a brush back pitch within what had otherwise been a very cordial and inviting experience. I appreciated it.