Sun City Girls

Not Crap
Total votes: 20 (100%)
Crap (No votes)
Total votes: 20

Re: Sun City Girls

First heard them in 1986, when I stumbled across Grotto of Miracles when assembling a playlist for my college radio show one evening. In the summer of 1990 on their tour for Torch of the Mystics I had a chance to see them live and the following night they joined my band on stage for a version of Helter Skelter. Later that evening I watched them do an hour of improvised comedy for a radio broadcast. Very funny and smart fellows, with incredible knowledge of music of all kinds. One of those bands you needed to experience live. The records never delivered the full mania and personality of the group.
RIP Charles.

Not crap.
Formerly known here as chumpchange

Bewildering, fascinating, frustrating, and spiritual.

The first time I heard a SCG that surprised and moved me was in a short film staring a very young Claire Danes called The Pesky Suitor. I haven't seen it in quite a while, but the ending still sticks with me because of "The Shining Path." I fell in love with it immediately (If I recall correctly "Space Prophet Dogon" also makes an appearance earlier in the film.) Thought it was one of the most odd and beautiful songs I'd ever heard. I've since come to know that it's an interpretation of a Bolivian folk song titled "Llorando se Fue," and I believe this speaks to their preternatural way with making a song uniquely sound like the Sun City Girls. Went from there to Horse Cock Phepner and have been playing hopscotch with their catalogue ever since. Couldn't think of a reason why they would garner a crap vote. It wouldn't be from me.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

NC. FM Angus Jung’s words on their brilliance got me to check them out a decade and a half ago, and I am very grateful for the riches. Earlier this year I listened to every recording I have, 1.4 days worth according to the machine, and this made for a glorious week, and an only occasionally annoyed wife.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

A very easy not crap.

I never dove into every corner of the catalog and the goofball vocals bug me sometimes (which I'm sure would delight the Bishop brothers). That said, Torch of the Mystics, Dawn of the Devi, and Kaliflower are always worth a listen. And I'm a sucker for faux-Eastern guitar solos, so naturally, SCGs work for me, as few do that sorta thing as well as tricky Dick Bishop. I also dig this band's sense of humor and fondness for talking travel during interviews.

Truly bizarre and inspiring music. Some of it sounds like the first couple Meat Puppets records going to North Africa, but most of it sounds like not much else. Bonus points for doing performance art in a nonshitty, totally entertaining manner, as well.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I wish I liked, but it just makes me angry. When I was younger I probably would have said CRAP because if it makes me angry, it must be CRAP whereas now I recognise it's more likely that the anger comes from bafflement; for whatever reason I just don't get it.

NOT CRAP, but not enjoyable in the least.

Dear Adam 1-3, you've probably heard enough to settle your opinion, but I'll dash down without hope three suggestions should you fancy one more try.

You're Never Alone With A Cigarette - a collection of instrumental singles that's pretty great... if you like their music and hate their voices.

Funeral Mariachi - their last album, mournful and running that through their Morricone fixation without inhibition. Probably the most painstakingly put-together of their records, I adore it.

For some reason I cannot fathom, their self-titled first album is not on Bandcamp, or at least I failed to find it, which is a shame as they hit most of what they were great at on first try. It's like a compilation of the preoccupations they spent the next 20 or so years enjoying: the unsettling, the exquisite, the clangorous, and the profane.

So if the Sun City Girls really aren't to your taste, listen to these three records and be baffled and annoyed for 119 minutes! Be sure to curse my name if the epiphany does not come.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:40 pm Dear Adam 1-3, you've probably heard enough to settle your opinion, but I'll dash down without hope three suggestions should you fancy one more try.

You're Never Alone With A Cigarette - a collection of instrumental singles that's pretty great... if you like their music and hate their voices.

Funeral Mariachi - their last album, mournful and running that through their Morricone fixation without inhibition. Probably the most painstakingly put-together of their records, I adore it.

For some reason I cannot fathom, their self-titled first album is not on Bandcamp, or at least I failed to find it, which is a shame as they hit most of what they were great at on first try. It's like a compilation of the preoccupations they spent the next 20 or so years enjoying: the unsettling, the exquisite, the clangorous, and the profane.

So if the Sun City Girls really aren't to your taste, listen to these three records and be baffled and annoyed for 119 minutes! Be sure to curse my name if the epiphany does not come.
So kind! I will listen to these and attempt to maintain composure. I am both excited, and afeared. I promise not to give up until my heart can take no more.