C/NC: Anna von Hausswolff

Crap
Total votes: 1 (25%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 3 (75%)
Total votes: 4

Organist: Anna von Hausswolff

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... c-protests
The Guardian wrote:After Catholic fundamentalists prevented Swedish musician Anna von Hausswolff from performing in a church in Nantes on Tuesday, the Paris church Saint-Eustache has cancelled her planned 9 December concert, citing concerns over security.

On Tuesday, a group described by Nantes’ deputy mayor, Bassem Asseh, as “intolerant radicals” blocked the entrance to the church Notre-Dame de Bon-Port ahead of von Hausswolff’s show, accusing her of making “satanist” music, despite the show being organised in accordance with the Nantes diocese.
With an intro like that, you have to go have a listen, right?

tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

Re: Organist: Anna von Hausswolff

Boring.

All those manuals and registrations available, just to play some dull songs. Basically Joanna Newsom with a better voice and more unwieldy instrument.

Here's a organist with some talent, and better repertoire:

And this talented Netherlander:

Admittedly, I'm all about counterpoint, and for that it's Bach's early preludes and fugues:

dontfeartheringo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:06 pm Kinda could not give less of a fuck about Bach, honestly.
I can respect that.

From what I heard, as an organist, she’s not really doing much, other than plunking away at a couple eighth note triads over and over. It’s nothing that couldn’t be done to equal effect on a Farfisa.

I dunno, I guess timbre alone isn’t enough to hold my interest anymore.

Getting a 4AD vibe from The Truth, the Glow, the Fall (Live at Montreux). Enjoyable enough. Somewhere between a NC and a meh. I don't think she's playing a pipe organ on this one.

I checked out a bit of All Thoughts Fly to hear her on a church organ. I'm thinking there's a lot of digital effects here, enough that they constitute another instrument.

It's kind of funny that she travels around to play these famous church organs and the Bandcamp "liner" notes give equal or greater space to the recording equipment. Queen's Neve, etc.

Eh... not a bad song and she's obviously a talented singer. The appeal seems to lie more WHERE she's playing as to what she's playing but I'll give her a solid not crap.

If she's making money on these 3 chord ditties well more power to her, I guess.

As the son of a lutheran minister, every now and then the organist at church would forget to lock the organ up and I'd go rock the fuck out of the Mr. Crowley intro! Full-on goosebumps every time.

pure l wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:52 am
As the son of a lutheran minister, every now and then the organist at church would forget to lock the organ up and I'd go rock the fuck out of the Mr. Crowley intro! Full-on goosebumps every time.
Speaking as a child of a Catholic organist who had access to the church organ on any given Sunday and Wednesday and having done the exact same thing, I concur.