App/Channel: Night Flight Plus

crap (No votes)
not crap
Total votes: 2 (100%)
Total votes: 2

Re: App/Channel: Night Flight Plus

Night Flight was a thoroughly bizarre but eye-opening thing to discover on tv when I was in middle school in the mid-to-late 1980s. I might be conflating some of this w/another show, but is it possible that I saw early Cabaret Voltaire footage, Godzilla movies, Black Flag, Ice Cream for Crow-era Beefheart, and news about the Tompkins Square Park riots here, all on the same cable program, on a relatively mainstream network? Basically, it was kinda sorta like the few nonshitty parts of MTV's "120 Minutes" crossed w/the best of NYC public access, but w/production values, cultural know-how, and a little less camp. Very much not crap.

New Wave Theatre. That was Peter Ivers? Fascinating guy. Wrote the Eraserhead song. Murdered under weird circumstances. Produced the (not very good) first appearance of Michael Gira on vinyl.

I have yet to mess w/the Night Flight reboot, mostly b/c I don't watch a lot of tv these days (unless MrsEaster is involved) and don't really fuck w/apps. I will, however, cop to being way into the even-weirder EXP TV online, which covers some of the same ground.

Watched Suburbia for the first time; never saw it as a kid growing up in the 80s, not sure how that happened. What a terrible film. I mean I suppose if I saw it then I would have enjoyed it to some degree, but it didn't hold up well.

And yeah the "app" part is just a way to watch it if you have an iPhone, which I don't, so I watch on my computer.

EXP TV looks pretty fascinating...
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:18 pm Watched Suburbia for the first time; never saw it as a kid growing up in the 80s, not sure how that happened. What a terrible film. I mean I suppose if I saw it then I would have enjoyed it to some degree, but it didn't hold up well.
I saw it a couple of times as a skateboarding hardcore kid. I tried to rewatch recently and didn't make it 20 mins.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote:
enframed wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:18 pm Watched Suburbia for the first time; never saw it as a kid growing up in the 80s, not sure how that happened. What a terrible film. I mean I suppose if I saw it then I would have enjoyed it to some degree, but it didn't hold up well.
I saw it a couple of times as a skateboarding hardcore kid. I tried to rewatch recently and didn't make it 20 mins.
Hahahah. Yep. I was way into Suburbia the movie when I was 12 or 13. I haven't dared attempt to watch it in my adult life.

That said, I saw a bit of Repo Man a little while back and still managed to get a kick out of it, mostly in a kitschy and nostalgic sorta way.

Jesus, now I'm wondering if Sid and Nancy holds up in any way, shape, or form.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:42 am
tommy wrote:
Hahahah. Yep. I was way into Suburbia the movie when I was 12 or 13. I haven't dared attempt to watch it in my adult life.

That said, I saw a bit of Repo Man a little while back and still managed to get a kick out of it, mostly in a kitschy and nostalgic sorta way.

Jesus, now I'm wondering if Sid and Nancy holds up in any way, shape, or form.
I just turned 50 and Repo Man is still a favorite.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

uglysound wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:13 am
tommy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:46 pm I just turned 50 and Repo Man is still a favorite.
Yep. Permanent top 5 movie for me. Soundtrack as well. I wish there was a whole album of Iggy/Clem/Steve/Nigel.

This channel looks like it could be fun, especially if they manage to make a lot of the weirder underground music videos available.
I figure for $40 for a year it's worth it to check out. Not disappointed so far. The Best of New Wave Theatre is really good performances. About to watch Eno doc. NIght Flight is where I first saw Jac Mac & rad Boy Go, early Wes Archer animation.

Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale