Band: CONVERGE

crap
Total votes: 4 (27%)
not crap
Total votes: 11 (73%)
Total votes: 15

Band: CONVERGE

Just read a Pitchfork review (I know, I know) giving the upcoming new collab LP w/female vocalist a poxy 5.2/10. Oh shit. I dont think of myself as a speed metal guy whatsoever and this band is the only one I listen to in the "metalcore" genre... but I fucking love this band. Their last 2 LP's were solid 9/10's in my book.

Re: Band: CONVERGE

If a band's lyrics are completely indecipherable to me it's unlikely they will connect with me, which is too bad about Converge, because the playing is awesome. That's my impression knowing Jane Doe and having seen them a couple times. That said, I recorded w Kurt a couple years ago and he's super awesome and I know those folks all are talented people with broad tastes. So what I'm saying is I would love to change my opinion on this band if someone gave me several songs to listen to that maybe weren't super screamy.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 am If a band's lyrics are completely indecipherable to me it's unlikely they will connect with me, which is too bad about Converge, because the playing is awesome. That's my impression knowing Jane Doe and having seen them a couple times. That said, I recorded w Kurt a couple years ago and he's super awesome and I know those folks all are talented people with broad tastes. So what I'm saying is I would love to change my opinion on this band if someone gave me several songs to listen to that maybe weren't super screamy.
Two isn't several, but you could try Buried but Breathing and Lonewolves.

Pembs wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:51 am
twelvepoint wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 am If a band's lyrics are completely indecipherable to me it's unlikely they will connect with me, which is too bad about Converge, because the playing is awesome. That's my impression knowing Jane Doe and having seen them a couple times. That said, I recorded w Kurt a couple years ago and he's super awesome and I know those folks all are talented people with broad tastes. So what I'm saying is I would love to change my opinion on this band if someone gave me several songs to listen to that maybe weren't super screamy.
Two isn't several, but you could try Buried but Breathing and Lonewolves.
Yeah these kinda connect better. Still can't understand what Bannon is singing but these two are a little move visceral and fun and punk.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

The most underappreciated Converge record is You Fail Me. Maybe I love it for the same reason some of that crowd gives it a 'meh', it has more range. Last Light is an awesome song. Mr. Bannon hits the right ratio of air pilot distress call voice to screaming demon voice.

While their ability to do the savage speedy stuff on Jane Doe and No Heroes is unfuckwithable, slower tempos and a little space allow for more creativity in the production and Kurt's a rare talent.

I say all of this as someone with about zero interest in metal core as a genre. These guys are a clear example of transcending their genre. You'd have to look pretty hard to find anyone making as profound a mark (Majority Rule comes to mind but not nearly the same cultural impact).

NC. Zero waffles.

Rocky Rockbottom wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:01 am Just read a Pitchfork review (I know, I know) giving the upcoming new collab LP w/female vocalist a poxy 5.2/10. Oh shit. I dont think of myself as a speed metal guy whatsoever and this band is the only one I listen to in the "metalcore" genre... but I fucking love this band. Their last 2 LP's were solid 9/10's in my book.
Got a laugh out of this...

Did the article seriously not mention that notable lady by name?