Rose Tattoo
Total votes: 7 (70%)
The Angels
Total votes: 2 (20%)
Cold Chisel
Total votes: 1 (10%)
Total votes: 10

AC/DC-Adjacent Bands

Not wannabe bands like Jet or Krokus, but other bands from the Australian scene with a similar sound. I think my favorite is the original Face to Face by The Angels.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Re: AC/DC-Adjacent Bands

Krev wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:44 pm
Owen wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36 pm Man, I had never heard The Angels before, shit is rad as hell. Thank you.
From that cover, you wouldn't think it was such a ripper.
John Floyd of AllMusic rated the international version at three out of five stars and declared, "This roaring Australian combo displays their AC/DC-cum-punk hearts on a powerful US debut."

I didn’t even think there was such a genre as cum-punk back then!

Ok, ok, I’ll show myself out.

kicker_of_elves wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:39 pm I'm leaning towards Cold Chisel, +1 for the abundance of Falcon GTs in the vids.
I can't do Cold Chisel. They sounded like Australia's answer to Huey Lewis. But I thought it was appropriate to include them in the poll.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Unequivocally love The Angels (or Angel City as I knew them back in the day). First four albums are pretty great! Haven't done a deep dive on their later stuff, but was not encouraged by what I heard. Would have loved to have seen them live in their prime. My older brother did see them around 82 or so and he said they were awesome live.

I've heard a couple Rose Tattoo songs that were half decent, but didn't seem like there was a lot there to interest me.

I try to get into Cold Chisel every few years, but it just sounds like bad bar-band music to me. Maybe I'm trying the wrong albums.

perdothegit wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:26 pm Unequivocally love The Angels (or Angel City as I knew them back in the day). First four albums are pretty great! Haven't done a deep dive on their later stuff, but was not encouraged by what I heard. Would have loved to have seen them live in their prime. My older brother did see them around 82 or so and he said they were awesome live.

I've heard a couple Rose Tattoo songs that were half decent, but didn't seem like there was a lot there to interest me.

I try to get into Cold Chisel every few years, but it just sounds like bad bar-band music to me. Maybe I'm trying the wrong albums.
Seems like there's a lot of aging Aussie affection for Jimmy Barnes, who embodies much of the small town rough and tumble old rural Australia ethos. Similar feelings for Cold Chisel, naturally, but this is only what I've parsed through today.