Cheap gin/vodka
Total votes: 5 (18%)
I ain't fancy, I'll enjoy any of 'em.
Total votes: 1 (4%)
None. I refuse to drink cheap booze.
Total votes: 4 (14%)
Total votes: 28

Cheap Booze Thunderdome

Tis the season for imbibing with greater frequency. To be clear, I'm thinking of the cheap end of things, not bargain basement. Maybe the well at a fancy pants bar, not Skoal vodka, or rot-gut wine.

What is the most tolerable fermented beverage tradition under the abuse of budget friendly mass production? What is the most drinkable, least diarrhea/headache inducing? Is there a drink where like pizza, or sex, you like so much that it's still kind of good, even when it's bad?

Feel free to be the Totinos Party Pizza loyalist and explain your affection for PBR, Charles Shaw, or Hornitos.

Re: Cheap Booze Thunderdome

penningtron wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 am All vodka tastes equally shitty to me and is used as a mixer most of the time anyway, I don't see a reason to pay big bucks for it.
The better the vodka, the cleaner and smoother it tastes. Cheaper variants can be very harsh. Thus even when using it as a mixer you'd want higher quality. Also the difference between good and crap is 5 bucks at most. Definitely worth it in my view.
born to give

Re: Cheap Booze Thunderdome

kokorodoko wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 am
penningtron wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 am All vodka tastes equally shitty to me and is used as a mixer most of the time anyway, I don't see a reason to pay big bucks for it.
The better the vodka, the cleaner and smoother it tastes. Cheaper variants can be very harsh. Thus even when using it as a mixer you'd want higher quality. Also the difference between good and crap is 5 bucks at most. Definitely worth it in my view.
A friend of mine once told me that a U of Chicago professor used to do taste tests with his grad students, and they could never tell the difference between cheap, mid-tier, and expensive vodka. I don’t doubt that there are some differences between brands, but they’re small.