Truffle Oil

Love it
Total votes: 1 (25%)
Hate it
Total votes: 3 (75%)
Total votes: 4

Food item: Truffle Oil

Having recently discovered this accidentally, I find myself being drawn in. Never had truffles. It seems like a 'love it or hate it' kinda thing. Also seems to have an addictive quality to it.

Was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to good uses for it? Seems to go well with fried potato, a little drizzled over the top is pretty good.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

Re: Food item: Truffle Oil

I’ve come to understand that store-bought truffle oil is an artificial monstrosity that should be avoided.

I’ve made my own by buying about $5 worth of black or white truffle from the farmers market and then thinly slicing and infusing it in a good quality olive oil for as long as you care to keep it around. I keep mine in the fridge after the first week and use it over the next year.

Fried potatoes, eggs, bread, pasta, are all good uses for a drizzle. It’s pretty subtle and not something I’m gaga over, but does add some depth of aroma and savoriness to things that lack it otherwise.

Geiginni wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:22 pm I’ve come to understand that store-bought truffle oil is an artificial monstrosity that should be avoided.
TRUTH
When I was cooking Piedmontese we avoided the oil. Until we discovered truffle salt, we only had truffle flavours during Oregon or Alba truffle season.

Truffle Salt is far superior, tossed on fried potatos. or sprinkled on grilled meats
"More open-minded than Catholics".

Typically, it's overpowering and doesn't taste much like truffles (although it smells a little like them, but in an exaggerated way) unless you're really careful w/what you buy. Geiginni's got the right idea, although there are some restaurants I know of that have somehow made and/or procured quality truffle oil. Mostly in Italy and NYC. I have no idea how.

But nearly all of what's on store shelves kinda sucks--even a lot of the infused stuff that's not made from chemical compounds sans any hint of truffle. Just goes to show you that food made in a lab rarely tastes as good as food grown in nature, no matter what science claims. See also: artificial vanilla and fake-ass maple syrup.

I'd rather splurge for actual truffles (and even those are often flavorless or dusty tasting if you're not careful in selecting them or you keep them too long) ever year or three or just get some really great wild mushrooms.

Crap. Waffles for the interesting, barely-there hint of truffle oil I had on a piece of sushi (I know... ) last week and other outlying victories.

Geiginni wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:22 pm
I’ve made my own by buying about $5 worth of black or white truffle from the farmers market and then thinly slicing and infusing it in a good quality olive oil for as long as you care to keep it around. I keep mine in the fridge after the first week and use it over the next year.
Be careful doing this at home - fresh mushrooms suspended in oil for longer than a week or so carry a significant risk of developing botulism toxins. The spores are present in the fresh mushrooms and the anaerobic environment of the oil is an ideal spawning ground for it. You can heat the truffle bits in oil to sterilize it, but that kills off the flavor you are going for anyway.

The commercially available stuff doesn't really have truffles in it - its full of aromatic compounds that they make in a lab. Some people like it.

I usually only cook with fresh truffles once or twice a year, in the winter. Splurge on $50 for an ounce the real stuff to make risotto and slice very thin to stuff under the skin of a chicken to roast.