Movie: Malignant?

Crap
Total votes: 3 (50%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 3 (50%)
Total votes: 6

Movie: Malignant

Watched it for the first time last night and am now engaged in an aggressive hate campaign against it. For the most part I enjoy James Wan's horror flicks. Insidious and The Conjuring we're both good with effective, creepy sequences and actors who knew how to act; Malignant was a train wreck bereft of atmosphere, chills, and competent actors. It felt purposeful in its awfulness which leaned on camp but failed in that aspect miserably. All of the action sequences looked like a generic video game and the dialogue was insipid. Didn't work as a comedy or horror. Crap.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Re: Movie: Malignant

Bernardo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:42 pm it is not a horror movie. That was my first assessment.
I genuinely appreciate your input, but what the hell was it?
The music was horrendous, there was that.
Sounded like Trapt at a monster truck rally.
I'd consider seeing it again with adjusted expectations.
Never!

Ruled. My favorite horror movie of the year.

A 40 million dollar Frank Henenlotter film. The kind of film major studios never release anymore. the first 1/3rd of the film is set up like a regular mainstream horror movie, and than the last 2/3rds just takes off. So many unhinged decisions. A great reveal in the prison. Great editing. Great vibes. Felt like an EC comic book, or like Tales From the Crypt Demon Knight, it was FUN, a nice balance from the dreary self serious arthouse horror fair (which I also dig, but need the balance of the more cartoonish). All of Wan's goofy instincts are on display, love seeing a horror director making whatever the fuck he wants after making a billion for the studio and THIS is what he chose to make. The idiosyncrasy on display that seems to repel everyone else is what I dug.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Owen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:16 pm a nice balance
I respect your opinion, sir, but where was the balance? It was ridiculously batshit from the get-go. I just wish it was marketed as such, and I wish it didn't look like a video game. And I wish the actors were competent. And I wish it was creepy. And I wish the music was better. And I wish the detective wasn't named "Kekoa Shaw". Evereytime one of the sisters said his name I wanted to punch a baby.