C/NC: Matrix 4 aka Matrix: Ressurections

CRAP
Total votes: 10 (77%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 3 (23%)
Total votes: 13

Re: C/NC: Matrix 4 aka Matrix: Ressurections

We made it about an hour. Maybe a little less. I never really liked any of the Matrix movies so I didn't have high expectations. This one fits in perfect with the rest as Crap. I did kind of like the first part where they were kinda making fun of the other Matrix movies.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

There is a lot of happening here:
(mild spoilers I guess)

- a lot of meta / self-awarness, Matrix the game in thus film is (obviously) an avatar for Matrix the film in real life, while Matrix 4 the film could be partially a commercial for Matrix the Game
- I was thinking "wow, this got made" quite a lot, with Lana Wachowski obviously putting a lot of her dealing with Warner Brothers and I guess her life in various dialogues ("so we got told the fourth part is happening with or without us"). Keanu has a middle finger standing next to the Trinity figure on his desk - i think it is a messageto Warner Brothers. All of this was more intriguing than cringy to me
- however the characters straight out of the SNL skit and obvious nods to audience / internet memes were cringy
- in the spirit of Matrix sequels the logic of how it all works went well past me. What exactly is Analysts role? What is the business with reconnecting mind of a person who is in the Matrix to the body of a person who is supposed to be taken away from the matrix? etc.
- I found the story (these two just gotta be together) charming in its simplicity
- I HATED the lighting and color scheme. Everything in the Matrix (the world outside of Matrix looked like in the prequels but better) was full of colors and way too bright which made it look cheap, like Matrix on a tv budget - and that in spite of car crashes and explosions looking very good on their own. I guess the overall look made sense 'logically' as Matrix 3 ends in this kind of lighting (when a little girl creates a sunrise "for Trinity" - I know because I've watched it recently. It is still bad) but holy shit, cinematography-wise it doesn't hold a candle to the originals.
- it also felt like the this film was made by a different crew than the originals? Cinematography was uninspiring, shooting and fighting scenes were stock and meh (especially shooting).

But overall I enjoyed it more than I thought, 5-6 out of 10? Cautious NC

Just dull.

Sure the “meta” aspect of the first act is interesting but it’s so on the nose it feels like a big in-joke at Warner Bros’ expense. The final act is really poorly choreographed fighting. The film looks cheap.

Carrie-Anne Moss‘ part is woefully under written. Keanu spends half the film holding his hands up to deflect bullets and hilariously the director let’s him rock up as Keanu… he looks like he just walked off the John Wick set.

An inconsequential film that I’ll probably watch again in a year on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

made it about an hour and change in and turned it off. It's kinda a dull movie, the action is pretty bad, and once the "we have to rescue trinity" plot kicked off, i had had enough. the love story angle is just really weak--maybe if you have a fondness (boner) for Carrie-Anne Moss or whatever it's not that bad but I don't think her and Keanu have any chemistry whatsoever so it doesn't work for me at all.