Babes in Toyland
Total votes: 13 (59%)
Hole
Total votes: 4 (18%)
L7
Total votes: 5 (23%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Foxcore Face Off-dome

All 3 bands rocked, but I think Hole wrote the best songs. I actually like Live Through This more now than I did back in the mid-90's (though that may have been b/c of all the incessant reporting on whatever Courtney Love was doing). I think Celebrity Skin is a good album as well.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

For the younger folks on the forum: Thurston Moore is responsible for the term “foxcore,” which he meant as a show of support but which was, in fact, incredibly patronizing. If memory serves me right, STP (Stomp That Pussy, not Stone Temple Pilots) also fell under the umbrella. I *think* Dickless did too. Dickless were the best of all these bands.

Leaving aside the term “foxcore,” Kat Bjelland, Courtney Love, and Jennifer Finch briefly played in a band together (Pagan Babies) in the 80s.

Babes are probably the best of the three. They had a garage-rock stomp to them that I liked, and they were good live the one time I saw them.

I don’t mind Hole’s early tuneless caterwauling period but also don’t love it. I have zero interest whatsoever in Live Through This and everything after it.

L7 were terrible from the get-go, and “Pretend We’re Dead” was one of the era’s two most blatant and irritating attempts to engineer a hit single. (The other was “Sister Havana.”)

Wood Goblin wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:59 am For the younger folks on the forum: Thurston Moore is responsible for the term “foxcore,” which he meant as a show of support but which was, in fact, incredibly patronizing.
Thanks for this. edit: The term is crap and I don't love that we're amplifying it a bit, but the context is also helpful.

Babes in Toyland, and it ain't close.
Last edited by brephophagist on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babes in Toyland by a Minnesota mile.

When Donita Sparks sings, it sounds like Beavis and Butthead level antipathy. Cool but still cartoony. Courtney Love's affected vocals come off as totally disingenuous. Whet Kat sings/screams, you hope you didn't piss her off because it sounds like she'd totally shank you.