Paris, Texas

Not crap
Total votes: 13 (100%)
Crap (No votes)
Total votes: 13

Re: Paris, Texas

Not crap. Its evocation of American emptiness has really stuck with me.

I've seen a genre of memes going around that satirize its status as the perennial fave of the dudebro/dilletante end of the spectrum of film snobs. I think they do poke at a stereotype with some truth behind it, aside from just being funny.

NC, guaranteed to make me cry during the monologue at the end every damn time.

Cool to see a version of the dudes of that time doing a riff on The Searchers that doesn't resort to (externalized) violence.

Massive shame that Harry Dean didn't get all the acting awards that year for this (and supporting for Repo Man).

With the exception of Wings of Desire (which is very different from his other films) the last truly great Wenders film IMO, and the culmination of his road movie period. Alice In The Cities makes a great double header w/ it.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

I found it a chore to sit through. Wings of Desire didn't do much for me, either, which made me wonder if I just don't like Wim Wenders' films, or have I just not seen the right one yet?
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

boilermaker wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:16 pm
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:15 pm Wings of Desire is Crap, no question.
Why is that?
Paris, Texas is not crap.

Wings of Desire is not crap either. It's very sentimental, and I think more so than in other Wenders films makes an attempt to make you feel. But I don't fault it for that. As far as that sort of emotional manipulation goes I think he's fair. It looks really good, and of course the music is great. Granted I have not seen it since the US-90s, when I was in my 20s.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

zircona1 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:15 pm I found it a chore to sit through. Wings of Desire didn't do much for me, either, which made me wonder if I just don't like Wim Wenders' films, or have I just not seen the right one yet?
If you found Paris, Texas a chore, I don't see how you're gonna like the slower, longer German road films (though they are all good to great). Maybe The American Friend.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com