floyd rose tremolo: crap, or not crap?

crap
Total votes: 2 (18%)
not crap
Total votes: 9 (82%)
Total votes: 11

Re: Tremolo/Vibrato: Floyd Rose

Despite them looking like a bucket of stupid, they can make some unique sounds. I have a mid-90s "Hamer Slammer" (ughh) that has one.

There's a part in one of my band's older songs (I know I know, but stick with me it's relevant) that I could only get to sound exactly the way I wanted using the Floyd Rose, from about 4:00 on here:
https://sounds.theconformists.com/track ... e-rainbows

Tremolo bar is off, pinky is hooked under the FR to pull up, while the corner butt of the palm is used to push down. Tried using the bar as intended, but then that changes the way you can pick.

So many great in-between notes I could only seem to access with that dumb Floyd Rose. Ugly, but NOT CRAP.
I guitar Conformists.

I recently got a Solar V with a Floyd. I've been using Babicz strat-style vibratos for a long time, but I crank the springs pretty hard so it's not the most fluid wang, and what I've been doing recently includes a lot of microtonal bends as well as dive bombs so I decided to accept the fussiness that comes with a Floyd. It's great. I haven't changed the strings yet so I'm sure I'll be cursing myself, but it's worth it for the stability.

First ever guitar I had was a used burgundy Washburn with a Floyd Rose.

Noticed via Reverb and eBay that this guitar hasn't gone up in value.

In over 20+ years!

Adjusting for inflation, it may have even gone down in value.

Is this because it came equipped with a Floyd Rose? There's a case to be made for that.

Also briefly owned a sparkly red Strat with a Floyd Rose.

That's something the world never needed to see, a traditional-style Fender (generally a good looking guitar) with a Floyd Rose, the musical equivalent of an otherwise "put-together" man or woman at the office sporting Zubaz on Casual Friday. With a straight face and no trace of irony.

Thankfully I managed to trade that thing for something more...sensible.

If you like a guitar with a Floyd Rose on it, then by all means, have at it. Such a set-up won't preclude you from making good music. In thrash/shedder circles, they might still crop up more regularly.

But I'm not a fan.

CRAP.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .