Soundgarden

Crap
Total votes: 18 (26%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 50 (74%)
Total votes: 68

Re: band: Soundgarden

I guess the reason most bands don't try to mix 'arty' and 'interesting' with 'heavy' and 'rockin'' is that you mostly end up w/ a mess rather than some divine hybridised form like a post-punk-aware Led Zep, which is always what they were aiming for, IMO.

Accordingly, most of the catalog misses more than it hits (though Badmotorfinger and Superunknown invert that ratio to more acceptable levels), but what I like, I really like.

Beyond the Wheel. Nazi Driver. Gun. I Awake. Uncovered. Slaves and Bulldozers. Room a Thousand Years Wide. Holy Water. Limo Wreck. 4th of July. Tighter and Tighter.

Great great great great great.

Bonus points for pushing themselves every record and not sitting static. Def operating well above the grunge miasma.

Louder Than Live is a blast - they are crushing it on that one, really heavy and raucous.

N.C

Re: band: Soundgarden

High school aged zircona1 bought Superunknown back when they hit big, and loved it. I even bought a Superunknown t-shirt that glowed in the dark!

These days, I don't need to hear Black Hole Sun again anytime soon, but I can still get down with My Wave, Limo Wreck, Mailman, Day I Tried to Live, etc. Most of Badmotorfinger as well. And 'Birth Ritual', from the Singles soundtrack.

And I always loved 'Ty Cobb', from Down on the Upside.

Not crap.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."