C&R?

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 8 (100%)
Total votes: 8

Podcast: Cocaine & Rhinestones

Pretty sure we had a thread on the old site, but I don't see one here yet. Kerble as needed.

I know basically nothing about country, but loved the episodes I heard from the first season. (Except the Spade Cooley episode, which I can't imagine listening to again. JFC.)

I'm really curious about season two, but also a bit intimidated by the scope. But it's on the list.

Anyway! Country music history podcast Cocaine & Rhinestones! What say ye?

Re: Podcast: Cocaine & Rhinestones

Tons and tons of research goes into each episode. No hyperbole or sensationalism. Nerdy and detailed, and I have had my mind blown numerous times when he unveils gritty details behind classic sessions, songs, artists and the scum that is the music business. I highly recommend even if you only slightly dig country music.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

I have had to stop listening to this show in the car for want of pulling over to cry.

One of the most honest examinations of any genre I can think of, from a person who deeply respects the craft and difference in each artist.

The last episode of season 2 was something. I'm happy that it was worth the wait, more so than most things I inevitably wait for and obsess over.

The bullfighting and courtly description was a bit much. I got what he was going for, but it never stuck with me as soon as episodes got rolling proper.

Not Crap, waffles for making me wanna read The Lais of Marie De France again.
New metal outfit

https://laddermatchco.bandcamp.com/album/3-count-demo

zorg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:33 am Hold up a second….there is a guy who goes by “Spade Cooley”? 😳
Since he's been dead for decades at this point?

He doesn't really go by anything.

Past that?

If you are lucky enough that you don't know much in the way of the details here?

Do yourself a favor, and do not peel any of the layers of this particular onion back.

Seriously.

zorg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:33 am I’m more referring to his first and last name both being racial slurs.
Cooley was actually the guy's Christian last name.

That said, I guess I get the angle.

Accounting for that?

The guy's childhood throws a pitbull sized wrench into him being some sort of a super racist's super racist.

Past all of that, "Spade..." was supposedly picked up off a particularly hot set of consecutive hands in cards.

offal wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:22 am Spade Cooley episode
Tangent!

I looked up this character, to see what could have possibly been the rhubarb, and he sounds like he was a piece of shit. I discerned this by reading an article c.2010 about how Dennis Quaid was trying to produce-direct-star-in a biopic of him, which was written in glowing terms by some Gary North. Apparently Gary North is either a pseudonym or employee of white power arch-lich Lew Rockwell. In this article, North writes of being horrified, as a child in 1948, that a show starring Cooley also featured Sarah Vaughan. There's mention of the resultant "cultural dissonance".

The upside of this whole venture was discovering Sarah Vaughan, who is great.

Is this podcast a lurid true crime kind of thing?