Fire Dances
Total votes: 1 (6%)
Night Time
Total votes: 2 (11%)
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
Total votes: 1 (6%)
Total votes: 18

Best Killing Joke 80s album

Saw them for (I think) the ninth time last weekend - still an incredible force.

IMO they've only laid one egg in their entire career (Outside the Gate) - everything else is very strong. However, their 80s material is undeniably more influential.

Which of their first run of releases do you favour the most?

I myself am torn between What's THIS For and Night Time. Today, I give it to Night TIme - stunning guitar work on that one. A great mix between melancholy melody and titanic, crushing groove - the reissue w/ 'Blue Feather' and 'A New Day' attached is just wonderful.

Thoughts?

Re: Best Killing Joke 80s album

penningtron wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:42 am I'm probably alone thinking the first album is kind of boring outside of a few songs.
They're still working through the post-punk milieu on the debut and they hadn't quite found their voice (the new testament of Public Image Ltd clearly dominates) - it's got some strong songs, but it's far from their best work.

This is a very hard question for me to answer. They are are second only to King Crimson in my admiration. These albums got me through high school with out killing myself or anyone else but I will go with the first self titled. Many a misanthropic afternoon was spent listening to that album.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Krev wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 am I think my personal favorite is Night Time. That and Extremities had Geordie's best guitar work. But I am going to give it to What's THIS For...
Do you feel that Extremities was kind a evolution in there sound? 2012 and Absolute Dissent feel and sound more like that than the first decade in my opinion.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."