Five Finger Death Punch
Total votes: 3 (38%)
Lamb of God
Total votes: 5 (63%)
Machine Head (No votes)
Band of Horses (No votes)
Texas Hippie Coalition (No votes)
Hell yeah (No votes)
Down/Superjoint/pick an Anselmo project band (No votes)
Total votes: 8

Re: True Heirs to Pantera's Fanbase

Lamb of God were just about crossing over of their own accord w/ Ashes of the Wake in summer 2004 before Dime was killed. I think they would have been a big band no matter what, they were leaders in the NWOAHM scene that was peaking around that time. Even though they owe a lot to Pantera, there a lot of tech-thrash elements in their music to set them apart. (L.o.G = N.C).

I can't see FFDP having anywhere near the career they've had (and they are HUGE) if Dime was still creating music. They took all the casual festival attending metal fans and served them a low-con-denom, post-grunge informed sludge that fills the hole w/out being totally cringe. (FFDP = C.)

Phil fans would have already been following his work no matter what.

Machine Head (C.) already owed a lot to Pantera anyway from their inception - Burn My Eyes (N.C) is one of the better post-Pantera groove metal records, IMO. Their career rebirth on The Blackening (N.C wf 8) owed more to dissatisfied Metallica fans than anything else.

I say FFDP.

While I voted FFDP - they are the preferred band of army wives - I think the real answer is Lamb of God. I've seen their shirts on many, many cats who likely would have rocked a Pantera T in the day.

I think Machine Head's foray into rap rock/nu metal alienated them from many fans.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Krev wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:52 pm
ChudFusk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 pm I'm not sure who pulled the most 'tera fans, but all these bands fucking suck except Down.
Truth. As I recall, most 'Tera fans didn't dig much deeper than Slayer.
Before Korn, Deftones and Slipknot arrived, I recall it was Fear Factory, Machine Head and Sepultura. And maybe sillier stuff like Gwar and Pro-Pain. All of which are way less crap than Pantera, with Sepultura even having several NC albums, and Fear Factory at least one. I’d give them two and a half.

I abstain from voting on any of the crap bands mentioned because I am pretty sure once you do, you’re legally obligated to get a tribal tattoo, a chinstrap beard, or restraining order filed against you.

ChudFusk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 pm I'm not sure who pulled the most 'tera fans, but all these bands fucking suck except Down.
I am far from a LoG superfan, but I'm familiar w/ their first 4 records and they all rip and tear. The first one w/ Steve Austin (Today is the Day) producing is particularly nasty, he sings on this one to particularly psychotic effect:

I could easily throw that on a playlist w/ Acid Bath or Buzzov.en, no problem.

M.H wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:35 pm
I am far from a LoG superfan, but I'm familiar w/ their first 4 records and they all rip and tear. The first one w/ Steve Austin (Today is the Day) producing is particularly nasty, he sings on this one to particularly psychotic effect:

I could easily throw that on a playlist w/ Acid Bath or Buzzov.en, no problem.
That font is straight up MS fontpack Papyrus.