Broadrick or Harris

Justin Broadrick
Total votes: 4 (50%)
Mick Harris
Total votes: 4 (50%)
Total votes: 8

Re: Napalm Death Alumni-dome: Justin Broadrick vs Mick Harris

Very tough.

Harris is the MVP that made early Napalm Death the experience that they were, but Justin's riffs on the A-side of Scum were the best material they made in their grind-era. I'd call it a tie there.

Godflesh's best work (everything up to and including Selfless) is very strong. I was not really convinced by Jesu as it was happening and think it has aged very poorly - he never had a great ear for melody and I got frustrated w/ every release getting more boring. The electronic / avant-garde material is often interesting (esp Techno Animal's Re-Entry) but often not terribly convincing as anything other than an experiment.

Love both eras of Scorn (Colossus and Logghi Barogghi being my favs) and adore Lull, crucially underrated music, esp Cold Summer. Can leave Painkiller but Execution Ground is a mind-grinder.

My gut says Harris just takes it for taking bigger artistic risks and making bolder work.

I’ll have to check out more recent Harris stuff. I liked the first two Scorn albums fine, but never really dug deep. On the other hand, Godflesh in the 90s was the most important band in my life. Recent 8-stringery leaves me cold, and Jesu was good, but not life changing.

I’m surprised an earlier respondent to this thread was able to leave out the “how hard is it to play” factor. Is someone developing taste?

M.H wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:26 amThe electronic / avant-garde material is often interesting (esp Techno Animal's Re-Entry) but often not terribly convincing as anything other than an experiment.

Love both eras of Scorn (Colossus and Logghi Barogghi being my favs) and adore Lull, crucially underrated music, esp Cold Summer. Can leave Painkiller but Execution Ground is a mind-grinder.
I listened to Re-Entry again and it sounds like early Portion Control, but it's also dull and the production values are mid-period Front 242.

Quickly looking through the others:
Lull sounds good. Don't care much for the early Scorn stuff but they seem to have grown better. Imaginaria Award is good. Painkiller is not my cup of tea.
born to give