Professional Cover Bands?

Crap
Total votes: 10 (50%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 10 (50%)
Total votes: 20

Professional Cover Bands?

Professional Cover Bands. What do you think?

I am not talking about doing a Ramones cover set or a few covers in a set. I am talking you form a band, and all you do is covers or taken further you only cover one band and dress up like that band. That's it, that's all you do in your band. Is this crap or not crap?
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Re: Professional Cover Bands?

I guess some people like them, but I would never pay to see one.

It's worse when it's a cover band for a band that's still around and active/touring. Just make a date out of that.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Not at all crap, cover bands are fascinating.
I could watch cover bands perform all day.
The whole spectacle is endlessly entertaining to me.
Getting to check out each player, how they handle this part and that part.
Just song choice alone, and the way the repertoire reflects the crowd and the players, is super interesting to me.

I admire the people I know who love the shit out of baseball and could happily watch baseball being played every day.
For me, that's cover bands. Or just bands in general, I guess. Human theater. Just so, so much to observe and think about.

Teacher's Pet wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:12 pm Not at all crap, cover bands are fascinating.
I could watch cover bands perform all day.
The whole spectacle is endlessly entertaining to me.
Getting to check out each player, how they handle this part and that part.
Just song choice alone, and the way the repertoire reflects the crowd and the players, is super interesting to me.

I admire the people I know who love the shit out of baseball and could happily watch baseball being played every day.
For me, that's cover bands. Or just bands in general, I guess. Human theater. Just so, so much to observe and think about.
This is a good take.

I voted not crap, perhaps your reasons above are why.

It's a little like watching a biopic about a band, live. They're acting the parts and playing. There was a cover band called The Atomic Punks and they did DLR era Van Halen. Fun times at those shows.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

As a general concept, Not Crap, do what you want, etc..

I've come close to the PCB experience a few times and didn't care for it. Covering songs you like for the right audience is awesome, but when strangers and money come into the picture people think they get to treat you like entertainment monkeys. And it's never enough money to justify the experience (at least at the level I've done it): yay, I got $200 for something that took months of preparation and I had to dress up for. Not worth it.

edit: I was partially talking about wedding and karaoke bands, which isn't what this is about I guess.
Music

NC

Being in one beats the hell out of most shit jobs IMO. I've heard many tales of people who make some solid scratch doing cover/tribute bands. I'd imagine there are huge opportunities for high paying gigs. Great way to supplement making underground music. I think it would be fun as hell if you loved the material you were covering.

A friend of mine had a standing gig playing classic country at a bar every Thursday for years. They'd split $500 between the band, get free drinks and dinner. Not bad for weeknight out. They got a ton of gigs at small town festivals and stuff like that too.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile