James Gang

Crap
Total votes: 1 (6%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 16 (94%)
Total votes: 17

Re: James Gang

Just dumb fun. Great guitar playing. Nothing deep to be found.

I always chuckle when I hear Midnight Man because it seems abundantly clear that Joe Walsh stumbled upon a really beautiful interplay between two guitar parts that were heart stirring and then didn't really have the lyrical depth to match after he sang "I'm the midnight man....", I mean this verse is as stupid as the song is beautiful:

I'm the midnight man
I do all I can
To make sure that I am
the Midnight Man.

Also kind of reminds me of this:

Not a great band but some very fun riffs and awesome guitar sound. I read a guitar magazine interview with Walsh where he mentioned even back then he was swapping out pots and capacitors and whatnot, long before you could just look those kind of tricks up on the internet. NC!
Music

losthighway wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:07 pm Just dumb fun. Great guitar playing. Nothing deep to be found.

I always chuckle when I hear Midnight Man because it seems abundantly clear that Joe Walsh stumbled upon a really beautiful interplay between two guitar parts that were heart stirring and then didn't really have the lyrical depth to match after he sang "I'm the midnight man....", I mean this verse is as stupid as the song is beautiful:

I'm the midnight man
I do all I can
To make sure that I am
the Midnight Man.

Also kind of reminds me of this:

I forgot about Dennis' excellent Jeff Buckley impersonation.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

RyanZ wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:43 pm I dig the first 3 albums, but have never listened to anything beyond that.
The Tommy Bolin records (esp Bang) are pretty good. Not "go out and listen right now" great, but surprisingly solid. I dunno if the James Gang was the best place for Bolin's skills, but he certainly made the most of the opportunity.

Rides Again is a masterpiece of intuitive, unabashed musicianship with a great variety of atmosphere and mood. One of the greatest rock records of the 70s.

N.C.