Stop Motion/Live Action Nightmare From Phil Tippett: Mad God

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 5 (100%)
Total votes: 5

Stop Motion/Live Action Nightmare From Phil Tippett: Mad God

There is a live action sequence concerning a doctor, nurse, and the lead character, "The Assassin," that made me question my love of horror as it was so perfect in its intent to horrify that it almost broke me - a glistening, surgical mutilation scene that doesn't stop. It taps into universal and personal fears. There was another sequence that made me feel like I was watching Caroliner on numerous hits of tremendously bad acid. Thirty years to create this gorgeous stop motion nightmare where the absence of traditional storytelling behooves one to look inside and confront what honestly scares them. Absolutely loved it. A singular horrific filmgoing experience.

Have you seen it? What did you think?
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Re: Stop Motion/Live Action Nightmare From Phil Tippett: Mad God

rsmurphy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:42 pm Can you explain a bit more?
I've no idea what reviews have said about it. I only went in knowing the story of its gestation, and just being delighted that somebody's passion project had got over the mountain. That said, it really struggled to hold interest over its length, and I didn't find it particularly imaginative.

Mind you, I'm not its audience. I love Frank (Woodring), and I love Happy Tree Friends, but don't really fancy something that feels partly-committed to each.

Edit: I was underwhelmed by this in the same way as Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, and I think it's me finding something cheap and/or lazy in both 'fever dream' and 'multiverse' story, which feels like a cop-out; an excuse to dodge the hard yards of affective story. That's as opposed to surrealism with subtext. This train of thought is still congealing, but I feel there's something in it.
Last edited by A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:06 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:42 pm Can you explain a bit more?
I've no idea what reviews have said about it.
I just meant the overwhelming praise about it, which I feel is warranted. It's why I was hoping you'd expound on your original post because I'd like to read a nuanced and studied critique about it
I didn't find it particularly imaginative.
OK, now I don't understand this critique at all, although I guess it's more personal? I found the monsters, and slaves, and beings, and other various nasties to be beyond inventive. That tumor faced thing? Holy hell.
I love Frank (Woodring), and I love Happy Tree Friends, but don't really fancy something that feels partly-committed to each.
I am unaware of these things!
I was underwhelmed by this in the same way as Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, and I think it's me finding something cheap and/or lazy in both 'fever dream' and 'multiverse' story, which feels like a cop-out; an excuse to dodge the hard yards of affective story. That's as opposed to surrealism with subtext. This train of thought is still congealing, but I feel there's something in it.
word.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:43 pm Maybe it's a case of what you're exposed to, but I spent a couple of months knee-deep in Bloodborne, so the standard for not just imagination, but also eldritch horror creatures and intelligent storytelling, was set there.
I had to google Bloodborne. I'm sure that has nice graphics and all, but is it fair to compare CGI (or whatever video game designers use idk) to Phil Tippett working on a stop-motion universe for thirty years?

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:42 pm I had to google Bloodborne. I'm sure that has nice graphics and all, but is it fair to compare CGI (or whatever video game designers use idk) to Phil Tippett working on a stop-motion universe for thirty years?
More than fair. I would rank Bloodborne as my generation's greatest storytelling. Regardless of medium.

Not for one moment disparaging 30 years of work - like I said, I'm really delighted it exists - but as a cohesive work? Team Miyazaki all the way.

Note: If you're at all interested there should be a link to The Paleblood Hunt here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7S ... aU3ucCdBDk

I'd recommend you don't read it, play through the game (including the DLC), and then enjoy, but if you haven't the patience for that....
at war with bellends