Ricky Gervais

Crap
Total votes: 13 (68%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 6 (32%)
Total votes: 19

Comedian: Ricky Gervais

I didn't find this personality mentioned in the crapnotcrap archive, so...

CRAP

The Office when it came out: very funny.
His movies: meh...
Derek: meh...
After Life: ok.
His stand up: turned into his David Brent character in a terrible way.
XFM radio show: sometimes funny but always due to other people.
Golden globes: I dislike hollywood and all of it's personalities, but what I hate even more is "roasts" of any kind.

Re: Comedian: Ricky Gervais

Not sure.

Would be easy to find criticisms, but I don't think he's crap. When the Office came out it was completely revelatory. It's hard to remember that and how it felt at the time and I'm not sure how it's aged, but it happened and it was very significant.

Think about culture when that came out and now. It's fucking weird. Ricky Gervais seems ever present in the now (that makes me want to kill myself), but I still don't think he's crap, because of how significant it felt before (which inspired me).

I thought Extras was funny too. Been awhile, though.

Seen virtually nothing by him, but I don't think success has agreed with him at all.

But pre-international fame bits I have seen were often very good, and seemed to be largely concerned with self-inflicted humiliation (e.g. that Bowie bit in Extras). That guy seemed ok.

His stand up specials are crap, even when he doesn't lean into transphobic jokes.

It's sweet that After Life was inspired by his real life wife, but the way he wrote his own character to always be the most clever guy in the room is Crap.

Never saw the big deal with either version of The Office.

He's been likeable at times, but at some point got lazy and settled into a rich prick caricature who says edgy stuff for edginess' sake. A little better than Jimmy Carr I guess..

CRAP
Music

I have enjoyed some of his acting and writing. I do like The Office.

I dislike his stand-up comedy act.

I dislike him as an awards show host, though at this point I'm not sure if anything could redeem most awards shows.

Since the topic heading is "comedian", I'm going to go with CRAP.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Think I'm going to abstain. This is another one of those where we need a third, intermediary "Used to be Not Crap but is now Crap" option.

Amongst all the other points made against him in this thread it's also worth noting that he is perhaps the poorest ambassador for animal rights this side of Morrissey.
I hate music, it's got too many notes.