Crap or not crap

Crap (No votes)
Not crap
Total votes: 5 (83%)
Never listened to them
Total votes: 1 (17%)
Total votes: 6

Re: Band: Oxes

That first album was a big deal to me when it came out. I liked the instrumental 'math rock' thing already, and it was the less pretentious, more ass kicking version of that. 2nd album was good too, arguably better, but didn't have the same impact on me. Heard the Ep that came out much later but I had long moved on from this thing.

Walked into a Guitar Center in suburban Denver around 2002 and 'Half Half & Half' was playing. Probably the best thing I ever heard in a Guitar Center.

Saw this on the 'gram and thought it was funny, if extremely specific:

Music

Feels good to celebrate them. I don't know that I was ever a huge fan, but i certainly liked them a lot and there was time when i was just discovering that sort of music and they seemed so badarse and exciting with their wireless guitars (and music).

I don't know how to write about this. There was a Michiganfest 2002 DVD. You can find it on youtube. One of the guitarists attempts to make out with a woman in the crowd. It's hard to know what it is in 2022 because who knows what their relationship was and how she felt.

But when i think about Oxes that moment is what immediately comes to mind.

*Wild caveman mathrock wireless guitar roaming through the crowd and forcing oneself onto a stranger, friend or lover for a dangerous pash.

or

* Sexual assault.

This is also the spirit of the band to me.

Happyman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:19 am Feels good to celebrate them. I don't know that I was ever a huge fan, but i certainly liked them a lot and there was time when i was just discovering that sort of music and they seemed so badarse and exciting with their wireless guitars (and music).

I don't know how to write about this. There was a Michiganfest 2002 DVD. You can find it on youtube. One of the guitarists attempts to make out with a woman in the crowd. It's hard to know what it is in 2022 because who knows what their relationship was and how she felt.

But when i think about Oxes that moment is what immediately comes to mind.

*Wild caveman mathrock wireless guitar roaming through the crowd and forcing oneself onto a stranger, friend or lover for a dangerous pash.

or

* Sexual assault.

This is also the spirit of the band to me.

@ 41:28
She seems to be laughing. Maybe she didn't find it funny later on. Hard to know 🤷

oof.. awkwardly followed up by an appearance by "sometimes gender studies" writer Jessica Hopper. Regardless of the specifics you can definitely see the 'boys club' alive and well in 2002 (rightfully called out by JH*): way more than I would have acknowledged back then.

In more light-hearted mischievous news I remember (but couldn't find in a search) a post about Oxes not fully paying for their Obstructures guitars, 'til one day one (or both) Obstructures/New Brutalism guys took them back after a show.

*I did cringe when she said "..'playa hatin'.." Easy there, white person from Minneapolis..
Music

penningtron wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:18 am oof.. awkwardly followed up by an appearance by "sometimes gender studies" writer Jessica Hopper. Regardless of the specifics you can definitely see the 'boys club' alive and well in 2002 (rightfully called out by JH*): way more than I would have acknowledged back then.
Yeah, that was weird. Didn't she used to be universally loathed around here? Everything she said minus the jive turkey lingo is completely dead on. One woman on that entire bill. Jesus.

I also remember the story about the guitars. They are basically lovable grandtheft sex criminals.