SV or The Obsessed?

Saint Vitus (No votes)
The Obsessed
Total votes: 5 (100%)
Other Wino Project (No votes)
Total votes: 5

Re: WinoDome: Saint Vitus vs. The Obsessed

Krev wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:02 pm Two Winos enter and one leaves.

My opinion is it's generally better when Wino is on guitar, and I slightly preferred Scott Reagers in SV.
Same. Wino sings through his teeth and nose too much. It’s too bad he couldn’t have just joined Vitus on guitar and kept Scott Reagers on vocals. Dave Chandler isn’t really to my taste on guitar anyway.

Re: WinoDome: Saint Vitus vs. The Obsessed

If there's anything approaching justice in this universe then one day soon Lunar Womb (which takes a Sabbath / Motorhead mix but is elevated to transcendental levels w/ stunning musicianship and sharp song writing) will be recognised as one of the all time perfect rock records. The Church Within is also top drawer but Scott Reeder's contributions give LW the x factor.

That lineup (Wino / Reeder / Rogers - amazing drummer, makes the music heavier w/out sacrificing an ounce of groove) is one of the best to ever play the game.

My favourite Vitus record is Mournful Cries - Wino contributes some extra guitar and songs - and even though I think Vitus had a high quality watermark no matter who was singing, generally Reagers is the better singer. When Reagers is on (see 'Burial at Sea') he is the perfect tool for the job. Wino did get one really magic performance w/ 'When Emotion Dies', but I think he was a bit too gritty and grimy for Vitus, who benefited from an occasional blast of operatic grandeur.

So for me, it's the Obsessed, even though Wino-era Vitus is great and Saint Vitus generally are great.