Better Call Saul

Crap
Total votes: 1 (5%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 21 (95%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Television Show: Better Call Saul

For starters...Was relieved when I first heard they'd wrapped production. With the specter of COVID hanging over everybody and then Bob O.'s heart attack, the possibility that it wouldn't be properly finished was all too real and if that had happened, it would've been a tragedy. So hats off to all of them for getting it done. Some of the lighting/cinematography of the recent season does look a little rushed, to me, more obviously-SOV than filmic, but that's fine in light of the circumstances.

Second, I hope Rhea Seehorn gets her Emmy, finally, as she deserves it. I think the intermingled dissonance and similarities between Kim and Jimmy make for better viewing than whatever was going on between Walt and Skyler in Breaking Bad. Kim has her stuff together and is more competent than Jimmy, presents a more stable/trustworthy face to the world, but she's also been a creative co-conspirator of sorts, somewhat devious, which is a more interesting character arc than Skyler going from housewife/"nag," to incredulous, to reluctant money launderer, to ex-wife, or however you'd care to frame that.

Generally I think BCS is better, or at least more my speed, than BB, not that it necessarily matters. Parsing apart exactly why would take too much time maybe. In broad terms though, I think BB was more hyperbolic, less "adult" in temperament overall. In BCS the drama feels more grounded and layered. What stands out a lot to me are some of the interesting triangulations, characters and their relations to each other getting fleshed out. And I think it has more cool, middle-of-the-night intrigue.

At any rate, here's hoping they can stick the landing when it's all said and done. Last two episodes were nothing if not eventful.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

Suffice it to say, if Jimmy/Saul/Gene were on some sort of path to redemption, I don't think he would have committed so many errors in the last couple of episodes. There could be some sort of last-minute reversal, maybe, but he's been pushing his luck and then some. It seems the writers have been highlighting his sociopathic side as of late, and it's hard to imagine things ending well.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

Though this season has had its moments and overall I've enjoyed it... this season has simultaneously felt too focused on mundane details but also somehow rushed, particularly the second half of this season. On multiple occasions I've thought to myself, "Why in the hell are they spending time on this NOW, there's so much story left to tell."

I'm looking forward to the series finale next week, though.
DaveA wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:26 pm Suffice it to say, if Jimmy/Saul/Gene were on some sort of path to redemption, I don't think he would have committed so many errors in the last couple of episodes.
I definitely find it difficult to root for him at this point.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

The show is running out of road. With only one episode left, we'll have to wait and see how it all comes together, but...
jfv wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:35 amI definitely find it difficult to root for him at this point.
I have to wonder how much all of this is out of character for him as opposed to the sort of behavior and actions that have been present or hinted at all along.

The phone call with Kim was more like something out of the late-period Walter White handbook. Desperate and borderline abusive. Not the stuff of a former lover hoping to rekindle something, drop back in, see how things stand. I have to wonder how organic that and the erratic handling of the last attempted heist are.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .