Ovo/Lacto
Total votes: 6 (15%)
Vegan
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Other (specify)
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Total votes: 41

Vegetarianism

Any vegetarians out there of various stripes? I am pescetarian and try and do vegan when it's doable. I used to be omnivore but I've been off red meat for about 10 years and off poultry for about 5. My own dad's early death got me a little more serious about diet, but also my wife is vegetarian, so there are some matters of respect/support for her that got me to change as well. Of course there's the animal welfare aspect too, which is a part of it - I suppose not the majority, but not insignificant either.

Interested in anyone else's thoughts on diet including non meat recipes and whatever anyone wants to share about their own feelings about what they choose or not choose to eat.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

Re: Vegetarianism

I was vegetarian for quite a while. It can be hard to get the nutritional values of an omnivore diet, so you have to do your research. Junk food vegetarians are a laugh. I knew one who basically lived off Taco Bell.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

I did it for about 17 years with a couple years of veganism in there. I still don't love eating meat a lot of the time but admittedly a little goes a long way in actually feeling full. I used to just eat eat eat bowls of rice or pasta and wondered why I was putting on a gut after age 30. Yes, there are fat vegetarians.

I could probably give up meat and dairy (barely eat it now with a lactose intolerant partner) again though I don't think I'll ever give up bone broth. And since that's treated like scraps/garbage by most americans I don't feel too bad consuming it.

NC, but people who can't be respectful from either side is Crap.
Music

I've been pescatarian for about 20 years and was lacto/ovo for a couple years before that. Like most people who aren't 18 years old I have a very tolerant attitude about the dietary stuff: lots of respect for vegans and most of my friends and family eat red meat.

If I'm vocal about anything it's simply that America will not go vegetarian but if everyone saved red meat for special occasions, even cut their consumption in half it would do wonders for the environment.

I'm pretty conflicted about my fish consumption. I eat it once or twice a week, typical salmon, cod and shrimp, the occasional sushi feast. Seafood is environmentally complicated as well.

Good vegetarian recipes are oh so easy to come by. Vegan requires more imagination. The writing style is annoying but there are a few great recipes in that Thug Kitchen book. It seems avocado, almond butter and veganaise are the best sources for creaminess. Roasted vegetables are a surprisingly satisfying meal component.

The main trick to eating vegan is adjusting your psychology around what being satisfied feels like. It's a different kind of 'full' that's clearly healthier but has left me looking for snacks when I've done a vegan month. I'm sure it becomes normal not to eat meals that make you want to loosen your belt.

I selected "I do plant-based when I can", though that's not entirely accurate... probably better stated that "I do lacto/ovo vegetarian when I can". This is primarily for health reasons, though there are a few other reasons as well.

My cholesterol was very high about 5 years ago. My doctor told me to try to change my diet for a while to see if it helped, or else I'd have to go on medication. I cut out most meats aside from seafood at that time, and it actually worked; my bad cholesterol dropped something like 60 points.

Nowadays I am lacto-ovo probably 80% of the time, pescatarian probably 15% of the time, and once every few weeks I'll make an exception and get something like tacos al pastor, a Chicago-style hot dog, or a butter burger from Culver's. At the PRFBBQ, I may have taken one of those pork sandwiches (holy fuck they were good).

I don't eat birds ever any more because... I love birds.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I'm an omnivore, but I've thought about going vegetarian for a little while (like 30 days), just to see the effect it would have on my body. I'd probably double down on sugar and chips and carbs though. I respect anyone who can do it. I could never go vegan, I like cheese too much.

My wife's parents went in on half a steer and split it with us, so we've got a deep freezer filled with ground beef, steaks, etc.

I only eat seafood if there's an ocean nearby. I live in Missouri, so that's a no unless we're on a vacation. My wife doesn't like shellfish either.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Pescetarian here the last 10 years. I cut out dairy for the first couple years of that. I called it Seagan. Eliminating cheese and eggs was HARD. Turns out I need cholesterol meds anyway, so I transitioned eggs and cheese back in. I still try to take it easy on the cheese aside from special occasions. I also did vegan for about a year.

Luckily seafood was always my favorite meat group anyway. However, I do miss brisket, sausages, pork chops, and fried chicken things sometimes though.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

FM losthighway's post hit a lot of my own feelings on diet. I too really found that dietary changes required some gradual changes to what satiety means. Part of it was in my own head, but also there became a big influx of meat substitutes, which I still enjoy, sparingly, and also bringing in some cooking techniques like reduction and deglazing to get a little more dense flavor and umami happening. Going to Millennium in San Fransisco (now in Oakland) was a real eye-opener as to how vegan food can be dense and deeply flavorful and not just about eating garden salads, red beans and quinoa all the time.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com