Poet/Musician/Activist: Moor Mother?

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 8 (100%)
Total votes: 8

Poet/Musician/Activist: Moor Mother

Please take the totality of her work into your consideration: Moor Mother, Irreversible Entanglements, Moor Jewelry, Billy Woods, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Her latest, Jazz Codes, is densely lush and layered jazz/hip hop (the Fatboi Shariff track is so odd and otherworldly). For as much music she releases, and all of her various collaborations, there really isn't much mucking about. Im also into the length of her songs; in and out, quick and dirty, save for the music of Irreversible Entanglements.

Going with a solid NC
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Re: Poet/Musician/Activist: Moor Mother

She's cool, I like her. Fetish Bones is a good record. I've seen her solo, and I saw Irreversible Entanglements last year (first concert since the pandemic).

I heard about her from this festival called Safe As Milk that I had tickets to in Wales, but the festival was cancelled a month before it was set to roll. After her solo set where I first saw her, I shook her hand and said I had tickets to that. She said, "that would've been a good pay day."
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Re: Poet/Musician/Activist: Moor Mother

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:21 am On paper I should love her, but it's mostly left me shrugging.
Yeah, she's 100% not crap on principle and she has some ridiculous soundscapes and noises going on in her music that's pretty cool. But it leaves me just being like, "alright." I want to like it more but it doesn't excite me at all. Kudos though to those who find real inspiration and meaning in it.