Crap or not crap

Crap (No votes)
Not crap
Total votes: 6 (100%)
Total votes: 6

Band: Slovenly

Only familiar with we shot for the moon and Hanno's.

But massive not crap on behalf of those two records. Some of the most brilliant guitar work. We shot for the moon specially is incredible.

I gave'em a try cause Daryn Gray from Dazzling Killmen said on an interview they were awesome.

Re: Band: Slovenly

penningtron wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:44 pm I only know the first 2 albums but I enjoy the music quite a bit. The vocals get pretty ridiculous at times, like Ian Curtis falling down the stairs. Great clean guitar noodling though.

NC
Agreed that one has to see beyond the difficult singing to appreciate this band. I used to have several of their records, including Thinking of Empire (IIRC, quite good) but loaned them to a friend 25 years ago and never got them back.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

Sure, there are some missteps in this band's discography, particularly on the last album.

But overall, man, what a wonderful band. I appreciate them even more as I age. The intricate guitar interplay, tight drumming, and even the, um, unique vocals (which are occasionally hilarious) all do it for me. Particularly keen on Thinking of Empire.

Not crap; I would have prefered them with a different vocalist, dude sounds a bit too anglophile to me and I don't think his voice really fit the sound but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment. We shoot for the moon used to be my favorite due to it being the rawest/"livest" and most Beefheart but I prefer "thinking of empire" nowadays, just stunning guitar interplay and a killer style in general. Riposte is good too but feels a bit short/slight and I hate the "I am a cooold glass of waaaater"-song. Debut album sounds more "post-punk" than the next few records but I dig it. I haven't listened to either the debut EP or Highway to hannos in a long time but I remember liking at least the latter quite a bit-it's more "jazzy" if I remember correctly.

jakethesnake wrote:Not crap; I would have prefered them with a different vocalist, dude sounds a bit too anglophile to me and I don't think his voice really fit the sound but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment.... Debut album sounds more "post-punk" than the next few records but I dig it.
Dunno if you were listening while some of these records were coming out or if you caught on later. But I feel like some context is necessary in order to fully "get" Steve Anderson's voice and lyrics. He's this drunken South Bay guy in a t-shirt. I always found his delivery somewhat arch and funny. Like some shit-faced writer getting up and fronting the band. In a way, it's a little like taking the piss out of that early-'80s style of Anglophile singing. Somehow, it seemed much less "serious" and self-involved than say, Ian Curtis or the guy from Interpol, to use a later relevant example. Not an ounce of gloom in there.

You can hear a less-affected, younger, snottier Anderson vocalizing (and most of Slovenly playing) on the song "Sensationalism" by Toxic Shock, from the old Keats Rides a Harley compilation LP.

If you like the debut album, the Plug EP is also worth your time. A side is surprisingly punky for a Slovenly song. And also features a somewhat different, more naturalistic style of singing.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:58 am
jakethesnake wrote:Not crap; I would have prefered them with a different vocalist, dude sounds a bit too anglophile to me and I don't think his voice really fit the sound but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment.... Debut album sounds more "post-punk" than the next few records but I dig it.
Dunno if you were listening while some of these records were coming out or if you caught on later. But I feel like some context is necessary in order to fully "get" Steve Anderson's voice and lyrics. He's this drunken South Bay guy in a t-shirt. I always found his delivery somewhat arch and funny. Like some shit-faced writer getting up and fronting the band. In a way, it's a little like taking the piss out of that early-'80s style of Anglophile singing. Somehow, it seemed much less "serious" and self-involved than say, Ian Curtis or the guy from Interpol, to use a later relevant example. Not an ounce of gloom in there.
The first album I heard upon release was "Highway to Hannos" though I had gotten "We shoot..." used a while before that so no, I didn't hear them in the 80's. Also, dude sounded a bit more rugged and "drunk" on those records so it was really when I heard the earlier stuff that his voice sounded too Ian Curtis to me for the music though the debut album actually sounds VERY UK post-punk at times completel with subtly "funky" undertones similar to Gang of four & co on many tracks so on that one, it makes more sense to me.

I agree with everything you say here though and I don't really find him particularly "goth" or "gloomy" either, it's more the very sound/delivery of his voice that's not 100% my thing. At the same time, they might have sounded more generic with a more typical US indie-rocker voice and his voice is inseparable from their overall sound in my head and since I still like the records a lot, there's no point in complaining really.