Total votes: 1 (4%)
Vanilla Fudge (No votes)
Blue Cheer
Total votes: 8 (35%)
UFO
Total votes: 3 (13%)
Total votes: 23

Heavy Classic Rock Proto-metal Thunderdome

This is an era/scene of music I've always been interested in but haven't listened exhaustively. In fact, I'm sure many 70's enthusiasts will declare this list woefully incomplete, so at least chime in on your favorite from this world that should have been on the list. I excluded Led Zep and Black Sabbath because I like Zep, love Sabbath and feel like they've been discussed a lot more.
Last edited by losthighway on Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Heavy Classic Rock Proto-metal Thunderdome

This is hard! Out of all the albums from all the bands listed here, Blue Cheer's Outsideinside is the best one. The best of the late-60s fuzzed-out shit. For sheer volume, I guess I gotta give it to Deep Purple. In Rock and Machine Head have some serious jams and there are a chunk of great tunes spread throughout, even if they're a distant third behind Zep and Sabbath.
tallchris wrote: They're more obscure, but I would have included Captain Beyond, Sir Lord Baltimore, and Budgie (and that's just scratching the surface) on this list.
Sir Lord Baltimore's Kingdom Come hangs with any early 70s hard rock record, but man, Captain Beyond does nothing for me. Cannot get that one to connect at all.

People will tell you Flower Travellin' Band is the Japanese Black Sabbath, but it's really Blues Creation.