Warp Records Act: Broadcast

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 12 (100%)
Total votes: 12

Band: Broadcast

If you haven't made the plunge yet with Broadcast, don't be like me and put off listening to this band for several years like I did. The Noise Made by People in particular (and Extended Play One & Two) is by far my most listened to album in recent times and re-affirms my love of music and life itself and that my jaded old ass can still be moved to goosebumps by sounds. Still working my way through the rest of the discography, but the others I've heard are also not crap in the slightest.

Re: Band: Broadcast

enframed wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm I don't get the kite reference.
"Kites Are Fun" by the Free Design. Just kinda my shorthand for whimsical '60s pop.
rsmurphy wrote: I'd hazard a guess that every member of Broadcast had An Electric Storm by White Noise in their music library.
Totally. That, and the United States of America record. Though Broadcast isn't as weird as either.
Music

Was several weeks late in picking up Maida Vale Sessions, the 24-bit version. Upon listening to the first few tracks, the involuntary thought I had was, "Woah, this is better than just about everything."

Broadcast are one of those bands I've liked pretty much from the ground floor up, ever since the compilation of their early singles, Work and Non-Work, came out on Warp. To a seventeen-year-old kid going on eighteen, it was something, a window into another reality, and a finely rendered one at that. It still holds up. If you count that as an LP, it and the three major ones that followed are all worth picking up and compliment each other well. Have still got a couple of odd recordings of theirs to snatch up. Only recently got The Future Crayon and its collection of B sides is a more mixed, less essential affair, though it does have some real standouts like "Poem of Dead Song."

Did get to see Broadcast once, at The Abbey Pub, circa Haha Sound. And it was cool.

Trish Keenan was a wonderful vocalist, perfectly matched for that style of music, even when they went "more electro" as a two-piece with Tender Buttons. The bass tone on The Noise Made By People...have wondered at times if it was consciously modeled after that of something like this John Barry song. I think it's safe to say the band spent loads of time listening to library music/soundtracks as well as the likes of The United States of America (particularly "Love Song for the Dead Che"), BBC Radiophonic Workshop, maybe YMG, etc. They may have been into the Free Design too, but that band is almost too upbeat to fit faithfully as a discernible influence.

NC.
Last edited by DaveA on Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

penningtron wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:09 pm
rsmurphy wrote: I'd hazard a guess that every member of Broadcast had An Electric Storm by White Noise in their music library.
Totally. That, and the United States of America record.
I'm raising with Valerie and Her Week of Wonders.
Though Broadcast isn't as weird as either.
Their last releases with The Focus Group are (imo) their very best, and more out-there than their other releases.

I'd also highly recommend 'Trish's Mind Bending Motorway Mix':

Tried so many times. Never ever got it.

"There's something here for me i know there must be. All the people that know say so..."

So many times over so many years. I don't think they're remotely crap, but at the same time there's nothing i like about them or that resonates with me. I had a very similar experience with Sonic Youth growing up and in a weird sort of way they remind me of each other. Like they're really good for other people but they're missing something I need or do something in particular that I don't like.