Original or Remaster

OG KIMB
Total votes: 6 (86%)
RM KIMB
Total votes: 1 (14%)
Total votes: 7

Re: Remaster vs Original Master: Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good

Dave N. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm I’m going with the remaster. You can hear Gar better. I haven’t A/B’d both versions, but when that remaster came out, I was all about it.

I love how it swings. Still a great album, in my book. I could care less for the rest of their discography.
The two albums that Mustaine did with Gar and Chris Poland were lightning in a bottle. Same here, though. My interest waned once the beat got more rigid.

Had this poster on my wall in my childhood home (my poor long-suffering parents). Big fan. Voting OG because it's the right thing to do.

Did Hell Awaits ever get a remastering? I can understand a desire for clarity and aggression, but the low-fi sound makes it otherworldly. Varg built a career on it. And murder.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote: IMO that original 'deth lineup was one of the coolest, most unique bands ever
Agreed. Odd, eerie solos and back-twisting tempos. Don't rightly know if it's Dave or Chris sputtering-out that sick, disgusting lead in "Last Rites" but it remains a highlight on a record full of them.
Dave N. wrote:I could care less for the rest of their discography.
I fell off after SFSGSW. Don't even know Rust in Peace which word on the street has as the best one. WRONG.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

I had that poster too! Haven't thought of that in decades, nice.

Rust in Peace is a great record, their last good one IMO, but it just sounds so....We Have Recorded All Our Parts With Professional Accuracy And Mixed Them Competently In Accordance With Industry Standards. If you know what I mean. There's no real energy, nothing dangerous. Notable exception being Marty Friedman's solos, which are awesome.
Dave N. wrote: As far as big 4 debuts go, KIMB leaves the other three in the dust. That’s right, I said it. Fight me.
I'll take this bait. It leaves Show no Mercy and Fistful of Metal in the dust by miles, that's for sure. Kill 'em All though?

Production-wise, KEA wins no contest, I still think that sounds great. I think it wins as far as stone cold classic songs/riffs too. Musicianship-wise, all of Megadeth are better than their Metallicolleagues, Dave Jr/Cliff is the only arguable one IMO. Innovative riffs-wise, KIMB has to win, some of those riffs still sound completely insane to me, and there's not really any referencing of classic rock standard riffs like on a few spots on KEA (jump in the fire). KEA was such a seismic shift though, it instantly made everything before it sound lame and old-fashioned.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com