Reign in Blood
Total votes: 16 (42%)
South of Heaven
Total votes: 11 (29%)
Seasons in the Abyss
Total votes: 6 (16%)
Total votes: 38

Re: Best Slayer Record from the Classic Era

Hell Awaits though I consider Haunting the chapel the best metal 12" maxi ever, 3 songs is just not enough. Reign... is obviously awesome but I miss the heavier, Sluggish side of the band there nowadays. South... delivered on that but I hate the way the guitars are mixed and Araya toned down his vocals too much. Season... has several genuinely shitty songs (both skeletons of society and Expendable youth are total wiffle thrash and should have been donated to Testament, Overkill or Anthrax, Dead skin mask Always sounded "Slayer lite" to me and Temptation is as filler as it gets) which kills the album for me. Show no mercy is the one I play the Most nowadays but it really sounds like a particularly tight hardcore band playing NWOBHM and is hardly textbook Slayer outside of Black Magic and Die by the Sword.

Oh yeah, Live Undead is cool in that it take the five best/Most THRASHING songs of the debut and deliver them in uniformly superior versions but at the same time, hearing Slayer playing more straight NWOBHM their way is part of the charm of "Show no mercy" so Live Undead doesn't really work as a substitute; it's a bit redundant in spite of the unintentionally hilarious stage banter (They say the pen is mightier than the sword. Well... i say fuck the pen because you can DIE by the sword!!!!)