Movie: PRey

Crap
Total votes: 1 (5%)
Not crap
Total votes: 20 (95%)
Total votes: 21

Re: Movie: Prey (2022)

Thought it was a solid action flick. Not too long. Some nods and callbacks to the earlier Predator movies. Enjoyed the juxtaposition between the primitive weaponry and the predator's advanced technology. Agreed that some of the CGI was a bit hokey, especially the animal stuff.

SPOILER:

Was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

At a certain point, it seemed to me like maybe the main character and the predator were going to join forces to get rid of the trappers, earning mutual respect and all that, and that would have worked for the movie, but soon after I realized, "Oh, she's just going to kill this motherfucker," and that worked a lot better.

I need one of these set in Japan's Edo period, like, tomorrow.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

BrendanK wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am Is this seriously on Disney + in Canada? Pretty bloody movie for Disney...
Yup. We have Disney+ via my sister-in-law's account and I don't watch much on it bc I'm not a Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar guy particularly. The Beatles doc was on there. We watched Zach Galifianakis's Baskets there, too.

I don't remember much of the Arnold Predator but I remember a Vietnam vibe, with a platoon in the jungle and a Native guy in the noble savage mold. The jungle is foreign and scary and full of terror. This Indigenous-centered prequel does flip that script dramatically.

U.S. soldiers in foreign lands have referred to uncontrolled territory as "Indian country" through multiple wars and occupations, including Vietnam. Here, all the protagonists are Comanche people, the hero is a fierce Comanche girl with a cute dog, and the landscape is beautiful and a source of medicine and life, if also mountain lions and herky-jerky, bloodthirsty CGI bears.

Agreed it ain't high art, but I thought it was pretty good!