David Bowie
Total votes: 15 (36%)
Sweet
Total votes: 1 (2%)
Roxy Music
Total votes: 8 (19%)
Total votes: 42

Sparkle Dome: Best Glam Band

Alright, after a month in a cloud of 70's hard rock, carpeted van clambaked smoke, I'm ready to tackle a new sub-genre: glam.

Once again this is inspired by the fact that it's a pocket of music history that I know a bit about, but need some schooling and making it a contest seems to inspire a more vigorous discussion. It seems Glam at best generated some outstanding rock and roll, challenged masculinity and broke down gender norms. At worst it could be considered responsible for hair metal, and drug overdoses.

I encourage anyone to point out glaring omissions from the glittery cage match.

There are a few artists I considered including but didn't based on some vague sense of what these half a dozen were doing:

Lou Reed
Mott the Hoople

I'm open to debate if the above should qualify.
Last edited by losthighway on Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sparkle Dome: Best Glam Band

Roxy for the brilliant peaks across a wide range of material. Mott from Dudes onwards is awesome (baroque and quintessentially English eccentricity yet it rocks hard), but the pre-Dudes material ain't great and there's quite a bit of it. They HATED the glam tag, FYI. Bowie comes very close but it's really Ronson's genius that makes the glam-era stuff sparkle and even occasionally rock (a rarity for Bowie). There's a lot of great records w/ Bowie's name on them but I loath his approach.

I love Thunders but Heartbreakers > Dolls, easily.

Found the rest very one-dimensional outside of the hits - sitting through an album's worth of T.Rex or Slade is a serious chore.