Candy Apply Grey
Total votes: 3 (4%)
Warehouse: Songs and Stories
Total votes: 2 (3%)
The Living End
Total votes: 3 (4%)
Total votes: 73

Re: Husker Du

My favorite studio work of theirs is the run of Metal Circus, Zen Arcade, and New Day Rising, but if you're including The Living End in the choices, then I'm dropping Metal Circus in favor of The Living End. I agree, it's a great live record.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

kicker_of_elves wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:20 am Warehouse comes and goes with me. Couldn't commit to a vote, but I enjoy it more than LSR.
I grew up in rural ME and my stores didn't always have the "definitive" records by the alternative artists that make everyone's top 500 lists, so I'd end up with like Century Days being my first exposure to Die Kreuzen, or getting like, the THIRD record (ok, cassette) by the Violent Femmes, etc etc. Husker Du, same deal: Warehouse was my first record (ok, CD) by them and like, I don't know any better, but I did listen to the shit out of that one.

I'm listening to it now, probably the first time in it's entirety in 34 years and you know, I'll vouch for this. The playing and harmonies and songwriting is as good as anything else in the catalog. Lyrically... a little less consistent but Back from Somewhere, She Floated Away, Friend You've Got to Fall, Bed of Nails are awesome. You're a Soldier is pretty hard to listen to though.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:42 am
kicker_of_elves wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:20 am Warehouse comes and goes with me. Couldn't commit to a vote, but I enjoy it more than LSR.
I grew up in rural ME and my stores didn't always have the "definitive" records by the alternative artists that make everyone's top 500 lists, so I'd end up with like Century Days being my first exposure to Die Kreuzen, or getting like, the THIRD record (ok, cassette) by the Violent Femmes, etc etc. Husker Du, same deal: Warehouse was my first record (ok, CD) by them and like, I don't know any better, but I did listen to the shit out of that one.

I'm listening to it now, probably the first time in it's entirety in 34 years and you know, I'll vouch for this. The playing and harmonies and songwriting is as good as anything else in the catalog. Lyrically... a little less consistent but Back from Somewhere, She Floated Away, Friend You've Got to Fall, Bed of Nails are awesome. You're a Soldier is pretty hard to listen to though.
I played the crap out of Warehouse around 1996. If you chopped about 15% of songs like Soldier and No Reservations, you'd have a really solid record. Otherwise yes, it gets to be a lot to slog through for the sake of the better songwriting.

ok, so here's a question that's vexed me for decades:

On "Makes no Sense at All" there's a 16th note snare drum fill after the verse, going into the chorus. It's way louder than the snare in the rest of the song, sounds different, and I feel like it's also overdubbed, and may even be a drum machine. Anyone else hearing that? Resolving this once and for all would really be weight off my mind.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:20 am ok, so here's a question that's vexed me for decades:

On "Makes no Sense at All" there's a 16th note snare drum fill after the verse, going into the chorus. It's way louder than the snare in the rest of the song, sounds different, and I feel like it's also overdubbed, and may even be a drum machine. Anyone else hearing that? Resolving this once and for all would really be weight off my mind.
This was the first record Bob and Grant got to produce on SST instead of Spot. To my ear, the snare on that break has the same tone as the rest of the song, just with the slider pushed way the heck up. Steve Fjelstad engineered Flip Your Wig, and he did a lot with Soul Asylum and the Mats also.

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:20 am ok, so here's a question that's vexed me for decades:

I know what you're talking about, and it just sounded like they punched it in/spliced it in to me. Doesn't sound like a drum machine to my ears.